Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus Nerifolia cuttings

5 posters

Go down

Ficus Nerifolia cuttings Empty Ficus Nerifolia cuttings

Post  trh136 Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:49 am

Hello all,
This is my first post, so here goes. I have been interested in bonsai for many years. I have even learned a little over time. Then, life happened and my small collection of trees suffered for many reasons (some I could not control, and some I did not control). The point of this story is this, I have a Ficus Nerifolia that is in a mess. I thought it died due to cold three years ago, but after some time it sprouted some new growth. I've just let it grow wild in a large pot since then. I have decided I am going to devote more time to my trees, and get me and them back with the program. But as a precaution to my renewed zeal for all things bonsai, I thought I should take some cuttings first (as this is an '89 nursery stock tree I bought from Jim Smith's nursery 10-12 years ago, and my only Nerifolia).

Two points: 1. I know Nerifolia is now known by another name, and 2. I might have the year wrong (it might be '87).

Anyway, can I take cuttings now? And, whenever I take them, what is the best rooting method (bonsai mix, perlite, or water)?
I am going to wait before I do any major work.

Thanks for any help. Randall
trh136
trh136

Back to top Go down

Ficus Nerifolia cuttings Empty Re: Ficus Nerifolia cuttings

Post  fiona Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 am

Would it be possibly to upload a pic of your tree, Randall?

You can find the info on picture uploading by clicking HERE.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  trh136 Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Ficus Nerifolia cuttings Dsc_0228
trh136
trh136

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Good lord! No responses! There are posts about Ficus on here just about every day. Surely someone out there must be able to help our new member.

Please? Pretty please? santa
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm no longer in Florida, and never in Central Florida when I was growing bonsai, but I have a couple of these. They are one of the best figs for bonsai, in my opinion. Here's MY recommendation. Experts in figs -- if they will chine in -- may have different recommendations. Follow the experts' advice.

Yes. You CAN take cuttings now, but unless you can give them LOTS of light and continuous bottom heat it probably would be better to wait for later spring.

When you do take cuttings, you might as well take a lot of them because the trunks currently are straight and spindly. I think you are going to need (want) to cut it all back to about 2 inches above the stump. It will resprout easily. At that time you should watch things carefully and save branches that you NEED and remove those you don't, pruning to help put some movement into the new trunks.

It should tuen out to be a nice little tree.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  trh136 Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Thank You Jim.
Using on your information, I am going to take a few cuttings now, then many more in the spring with the hard pruning you recommended.

Thank You Fiona.
Randall
trh136
trh136

Back to top Go down

Post  gope Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:05 am

I'd wait till late spring with cuttings. Nice stump!

Ficus Nerifolia cuttings Dsc_0210

gope

Back to top Go down

Post  trh136 Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:26 am

Thank You, gope

I like your photo. It gives me a renewed hope. Plus I like the look!

Randall

trh136
trh136

Back to top Go down

Post  John Lee Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:44 pm

I have several ficus nerifloria, they grow like weeds. They also root easily. I have also rooted them in winter, not special care, just took some cuttings from a pruning session and stuck them in a pot with regular potting soil. Probably 75% rooted. I have, in the past, put a plastic "tent" over the pot to maintain humidity and had 100% success.

Hope it helps,

John
John Lee
John Lee

Back to top Go down

Post  trh136 Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Thank You for the information John.

Based on Jim's information, I have only taken a few cuttings so far. Of these, I made two groups: Group 1 in bonsai soil, placed near the mother plant. And Group 2 in bonsai soil in an aquarium, under lights, by a window, in my house. I cut the leaves back to about 1/3 of their normal size, but now I am second guessing myself. Should I have completely defoliated the cuttings?

The formula of the bonsai soil I am using is 1/3 turface - 1/3 large grit sand - 1/3 composted pine bark.

Randall
trh136
trh136

Back to top Go down

Post  John Lee Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:15 pm

I usually don't cut the leaves, most of the time they all stay on, or a few may drop. Probably wouldn't hurt anything if you have already done it. not sure about the soil, I wonder if the rooting area will get enough contact with the soil. I have just used potting soil, regular, for rooting cuttings.
John Lee
John Lee

Back to top Go down

Post  trh136 Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 am

Thank You, John.
I think you might be right about the lack of water uptake potential using bonsai soil; Some of my first cuttings are looking rough (technical term). I am going to take a few more cuttings, and use various rooting media. That way I won't be placing all my 'eggs in one basket', so to speak.

The decision to wait before I do the hard pruning has somehow seemed to relieve some imagined pressure I placed on myself.

I am grateful to you, and everyone, who have offered help.

Randall
trh136
trh136

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down