Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW.

+21
stacy allen muse
Mikey P
LELE
MikeG
marcus watts
-Daniel-
aristide
abcd
DangerousBry
Vance Wood
gman
Sakaki
Steve p
sunip
Fore
Jack Carrack
Pavel Slovák
yamasuri
GašperG
Todd Ellis
Hans van Meer.
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Empty virtual tree

Post  abcd Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Without long dead wood, a subject of much discussion I think ?
[img]HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Larix12[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Empty Re: HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW.

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 pm

abcd wrote:Without long dead wood, a subject of much discussion I think ?

Hi abcd,
no not realy, you are the first one ever! Wink No just kidding, there was some debate in the beginning when years ago I showed the first styling pictures on the forum. But now it has come all together better and all who have seen this tree in real live in my garden over this last years do like it! If you look at the picture below (that I just made especially for you Wink ) that section were the new top live section meets that large jin and shari, that section is all naturally created by mother nature and it shows perfectly, in miniature, what happens for real in nature when the top off a mountain tree like Pine, larch or spruce dies back after being hit by lightning or a avalanche. The tree wants to survive so from around that point many new branches will apear from which one branch will become the new top section. Just like you can see on hundreds of trees high up in the mountains. But that is not the only reason why I made that jin such a important part off this whole image, in my opinion it ads interest to the whole story of this tree and it makes it (in my view) more exciting to look at! I would not think about it to remove it or even shorten it! But I do understand that this is a matter off taste! But I also know that it all looks and feels much better in real live!

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 10-12-10

Hope this answers your question?

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Empty Re: HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW.

Post  gman Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks Hans…… for not only answering my question but also for taking the time to answer all of them.
It’s enjoyable seeing posts of pots, trees, progressions... etc but the education that you've provided helps all to appreciate the aspects that you are trying to emulate and the vision you try to portray.
Cheers
Graham
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  -Daniel- Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Optimal Hans job, name XL is just right for this plant.

Regards , Daniele Very Happy
-Daniel-
-Daniel-

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:45 pm

OK, thank you for the détail and your comment , the head of the the tree is dead, an "apex of substitution" grow .
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:47 am

hi Hans,

lovely larch - a perfect combination of wild weathered mountain life and bonsai life - looking forward to seeing it at the show Wink

in time..........i think a pot that would allow the trunk to be set slightly right of center would balance the total view. At the moment the tree trunk sits perfect center and the rest of the upper tree is off to the left - but this is a small detail and takes time of course due to the roots of a wild tree not always being right where we want them. Laughing

see you at the show

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 am

I LOVE this larch. Such an impressive trunk, and fantastic movement to it. Is there a thread to see its history? I couldn't find it.

Thanks, Mike
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:06 pm

MikeG wrote:I LOVE this larch. Such an impressive trunk, and fantastic movement to it. Is there a thread to see its history? I couldn't find it.

Thanks, Mike

Thanks Mike!
Below: The story's of my Larch (XL) Part I to IV and some moving images, enjoy!

PART I
PART II
PART III
PART IV

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 pm

impressive trunk base, nice bark, wish the top part would allready have had a more mature look too it (thicker to match the powerful old look of the trunk below, and more bark) but you certainly did a good job with what the tree allready has to offer now. So this is not really a critique is it ;-). Time will prove to be a friend of this tree i am sure.

The hat Very Happy...'bonzaï records' Very Happy, yeah that does ring a bell too Very Happy, that was a famous belgian label where allmost all oldskool house music was born into the world. Remember "Jones&Stephenson's first rebirth" Wink or are you too 'old' to remember that Wink. Maybe you only wear the hat because it says bonZai Very Happy. Anyway, fait divers, some nice nostalgics Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks so much for the links Hans. I'm even more impressed after seeing its beginnings. Great progression series.
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:55 pm

yves71277 wrote:impressive trunk base, nice bark, wish the top part would already have had a more mature look too it (thicker to match the powerful old look of the trunk below, and more bark) but you certainly did a good job with what the tree already has to offer now. So this is not really a critique is it ;-). Time will prove to be a friend of this tree i am sure.

Hi Yves,
yes that top section looks still young, but it luckily fits the story off this tree were the top has died and new branches have formed from witch one has become the new apex, that a other reason why I am so keen to leave that dead top (jin) in this design! What bothers me more is the lack off taper in this new top and how that now, with out foliage is noticeable in pictures. In real live that new top is much more hidden behind the front branches! And yes this tree can only get better over time, unlike us! Wink

yves71277 wrote:
The hat Very Happy...'bonzaï records' Very Happy, yeah that does ring a bell too Very Happy, that was a famous belgian label where allmost all oldskool house music was born into the world. Remember "Jones&Stephenson's first rebirth" Wink or are you too 'old' to remember that Wink. Maybe you only wear the hat because it says bonZai Very Happy. Anyway, fait divers, some nice nostalgics Very Happy

Do I know Bonzai Records? You bet!!! Besides being a DJ for many years (retired 3 years ago), we also use to run for more than 13 years "Second Sound" a Vinyl, CD and DVD store in Rotterdam Holland (sadly closed 3 years ago)! This hat was given to me by one off their more famous DJ's many years ago, but dont ask me his name now, most off the memories off my DJ time were made in a blur and I am still not much better these day's!HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Lava-l16 Do you know how many times Bonsai people pointed out to me that Bonsai is written different?! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Below: Some pictures from our old store! Crying or Very sad

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Second11

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Second10

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:57 pm

MikeG wrote:Thanks so much for the links Hans. I'm even more impressed after seeing its beginnings. Great progression series.

Your more than welcome!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:08 pm

marcus watts wrote:hi Hans,

lovely larch - a perfect combination of wild weathered mountain life and bonsai life - looking forward to seeing it at the show Wink

in time..........i think a pot that would allow the trunk to be set slightly right of center would balance the total view. At the moment the tree trunk sits perfect center and the rest of the upper tree is off to the left - but this is a small detail and takes time of course due to the roots of a wild tree not always being right where we want them. Laughing

see you at the show

Marcus

Hi Marcus, I am glad you like it! And good to know that you are in with one off your own trees! Exciting isn't it?! Looking forward to meet you and your tree! Wink
Yes the placement in the pot could be better, but was not possible just yet. But when the tree fills out a bit more in the future it will be less noticeable and honestly it looks better in real live! My open way off branch styling makes this tree look very light, open and flat in pictures, but that is something I have to live with. I prefer that it looks better in real live than how it looks in pictures! But we can discuss our and the other trees when we meet in a few weeks time!!
CU there!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:29 pm

[quote="Hans van Meer."]
yves71277 wrote:Do I know Bonzai Records? You bet!!! Besides being a DJ for many years (retired 3 years ago), we also use to run for more than 13 years "Second Sound" a Vinyl, CD and DVD store in Rotterdam Holland (sadly closed 3 years ago)! This hat was given to me by one off their more famous DJ's many years ago, but dont ask me his name now, most off the memories off my DJ time were made in a blur and I am still not much better these day's!HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Lava-l16 Do you know how many times Bonsai people pointed out to me that Bonsai is written different?! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Below: Some pictures from our old store! Crying or Very sad

hehe ;-)
you dont happen to know the vinyl/music store in Ghent, belgium 'music man'...now that was a name in gent and belgium, and had the best of the best of the vinyls on the shelf, for DJ's, lots of rare 'house' music gems on vinyl there. Sadly i discovered it too late when i was a student, and now the few old cd's i have left, are buried somewhere, some must be worth quite a bit. I just smile when i hear youngster talk about the cool retro house... haha and then its only about the retro stuff everyone knows, but we know the real retro stuff from back in those days. If you ever want a short list with top of the bill retro's from the early days, send me a pm.

BonZaï ??? you got it all wrong, its bonSai Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy tongue-in-cheek

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi Hans
You quoted “Without long dead wood, a subject of much discussion I think?”
Not too many direct comments on that but for me….
Having seen the progression of the tree helps one understand your idea of loosing the upper long deadwood.
To me that is also a reflection of the natural progression of an ancient tree in nature; against the environmental sometimes severe elements, time (decades) and fungal decay…. the form of a tree changes over time (as too does the image)….thus I like to see my own trees develop among those same lines.....and if I had lots of time left.... Sad I could see some of my trees go from immature, to mature to ancient bounce

“I prefer that it looks better in real life than how it looks in pictures!” …..
I couldn’t agree with you more…there is sometimes an allusion created by a photo that distracts from the actual 3D movement in real life……..although I do find that looking at them in 2D does help one tweak the overall image Very Happy .

Cheers Graham

gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  LELE Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:59 am

Hey Hans,
Good luck with the show.
XL is absolutely stunning ;-)
LELE
LELE

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:08 am

LELE wrote:Hey Hans,
Good luck with the show.
XL is absolutely stunning ;-)

Thanks Lele! I am glad you like it!
Have a nise Christmas!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Empty SOME DETAILED DEADWOOD WORK.

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:35 am

Hi everybody,
after a week with freezing cold weather that was followed by a copple off day's with heavy rain, the last couple off day's were finaly dry and so I was finaly able to work on the deadwood sections of XL! First the excess off dirt and algae was removed with water and a old soft toothbrush. A hard copper or metal brush would be quicker for this job, but can not be used on the soft deadwood off this larch, because it would remove the natural bleached very thin silvery white top layer off it's deadwood! I only carfully removed the dirt from places were I did not needed shadows, but I left it in places like natural cracks and hollows, so that they would still stick out in all that silvery white deadwood! When this was don I left the deadwood for a day so that the cleaned deadwood could get dry again. Than with the help of a small brush I started to apply a thin layer off water diluted Lime Sulfur to most off the deadwood, but I tried to avoid the places were I wanted darker tones and shadows! The next day I saw that the bulk off the deadwood was now bleach just enough, so now I could focus on applying some more heavily bleached highlights. This was don with some stronger Lime Sulfur that I softly stamped on with a short haired brush. There was hardly any Lime Sulfur on that brush so the bleaching effect would be open and scattered, so that the darker layers underneed could still shine trough in some places! A day later the same was don, but now even less places were treated with stronger Lime Sulfur. So now the deadwood has a overall greyish white color with some brighter highlight in tactical places and all the places that lie dipper in the surface are still darker colored in various tones, making it all look natural! XL is now placed in it's winter shelter were he will be closely observed until the upcoming show. I have to make sure that branches stay in their desired possition, that the moss stays fresh and I have to mist the thin copper wire that I used with water every now and than so that it will rust and get it's desired dark brown color, instead of the shinning copper color it still has now! When this thin copper wire is bend to apply it around the branches, the dark (rusted) top layer will break off and disappear into the air, leaving the surface of the wire all shinning and looking new, and I dont want that! This airborne copper dust can irritate eyes and dry out exposed skin, so be careful! My hands, face and lips are always dry after using copper wire and that is very annoying!
So for now it is just taking good care off XL the best I can and count the day's until the show!
I will keep you all posted if anything wurth while happens!

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey P Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Hans I want your hat. Where did you get it made?................ Awsome tree by the way hahahahahahaha santa santa lol! lol!
Mikey P
Mikey P

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:18 am

Mikey P wrote:Hans I want your hat. Where did you get it made?................ Awsome tree by the way hahahahahahaha santa santa lol! lol!

Mikey, how's life my friend?! That hat is not made my man, it's a original from the mid 90ties!!! HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Images10
I told you I know my tunes, I plaid and later sold their latest and old vinyl in my store! Dance, like Bonsai, brings and binds people together! This track is one off their softer cuts, but that '97 "Love Parade" made some everlasting memories for me...hubba hubba!!! Wide eyed wanderers, dancing "Lovestruck" trough the night...those were the day's! Like some one wrote about those day's: WOODSTOCK! Forget Woodstock, that was a one time event! We had a Woodstock every weekend!!! cheers

I am glad you like how (XL) looks now! And you were right a year ago...it looks even better now! Smile Will you be at Noelanders?! If so, shall I.....you know what, so that we can humhumm humm?!! Wink

Stay safe my friend and CU soon!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey P Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:55 am

Hannnns. I am pleased the XL is looking much better now. It will be a delight to see it in all it glory. It truly was an inspiration to see this tree in reality and also visit your garden my friend. And yes the hum hummm hummm. i will match you on that one my friend as i have a gift for you. confused confused confused
By the way is there any chance i could get a photo of that pine of your i realy loved. The one we disscussed for almost an hour haha. Thank you
Mikey P
Mikey P

Back to top Go down

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Empty SOME LAST DETAILED WORK ON THE MOSSES.

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 am

Hi everybody,
it was wonderful weather today so I decided to take a long walk along the sea dike that protects our coastline close to my home. Walking on this highly elevated dike gives you a wonderful view on the sea and the many different birds that seek protection and shelter on it. It is also a great place to find many varieties off mosses that grow on the black boulders that were used to build the inclining dike. These mosses grow directly on those rocks, with out any soil, so they are very thin, ideally for the use as ground coverrich on my Bonsai! Collecting the moss was not as easy as it sounds, because off the steep inclination and the slippery surface of those rocks, but I managed to get enough to replace the weathered mosses and to ad some mosses with yellow and orange colored long seed pots for more detail!

Below: The different mosses ready to put on, the top ones with the seed pots are the ones that I will use to bring more detail in the surface and dept to the whole image.

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 6-1-2010

Below: The soil surface before I started. All off this moss was planted 2 years ago so that by now it is realy attached and grown over and in between the open soil structure and looks realy natural and not as if it is placed just before the show.

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 6-1-2011

Below: After the new mosses were added. The green arrow shows what I meant by adding dept to the image and variety in the structure and color of the soil surface.

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 6-1-2012

I did not use much off those silvery ball like pieces of moss, they are to symmetrical and round shaped and there for looked out off place and unnatural. And their color was to light as well. I think that now the soil surface looks old and natural so I am happy with it!

Below: This is how the deadwood looks now after cleaning and carfully bleaching it in several layers of different strength Lime sulfur.

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 6-1-2013

Just two more weeks until Noelanders, I cant wait to show XL there and to meet all my friend from around Europe again! cheers

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  stacy allen muse Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:53 am

Very nice tree !!!
Good Luck at Noelanders.
stacy allen muse
stacy allen muse

Back to top Go down

HAVING SOME WINTER FUN WHILE PREPARING MY LARCH (XL) FOR A SHOW. - Page 2 Empty dead wood color

Post  abcd Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:33 am

You can also add china ink in lime sulfur to have a dead wood with natural color
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 am

abcd wrote:You can also add china ink in lime sulfur to have a dead wood with natural color

Are you sure you wanted to post this in this thread?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next