Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a few of my "Walmart' trees

+6
Steven
Jerry Meislik
BigDave
Billy M. Rhodes
coh
Hank Miller
10 posters

Go down

a few of my "Walmart' trees Empty a few of my "Walmart' trees

Post  Hank Miller Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:05 pm

In the last few years I have not had the tiime to go collecting. At this time of the year, I try to get out and make the rounds of the nurseries at places like Walmart, Lowes , Home Depot and smaller local garden centers. Rather than over wintering their excess stock they quite often reduce their prices by as much as 75% . Below are a few images of some of the material I have picked up in the last few years - my so-called 'Walmart' trees. They were not all purchased at Walmart but they share one common attribute they were all very inexpensive. All have been purchased within the last 5 years and many still need a bit of work. Enjoy. Hank

a few of my "Walmart' trees Walt2110
San Jose juniper(left) and Austrian black pIne(right)

a few of my "Walmart' trees Walt2210
Colorado blue spruce(far right) and Japanese black pine(middle)

Last edited by Hank Miller on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

a few of my "Walmart' trees Empty Re: a few of my "Walmart' trees

Post  coh Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Hank,

How large (tall) is that Austrian pine in the first photo? And can you tell me a little about working with it - do you use standard Japanese black pine techniques or something less severe (in terms of pruning, candle removal, etc)? I've got 2 that I picked up at a similar sale a few years ago, both are in the ground for now but do appear to have some long term potential.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:26 pm

The nurseries in Florida don't give discounts because of winter!!! But you can still still discount on overgrown stock. I picked up three dwarf crape myrtle for $1 once because were past blooming and looked ragged.
There is a nursery in Beaver Creek, Ohio, Knollwoods I think that has some great Fall sales.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Hank,

Very nice man, I like your benches, your cheap collection, the whole package.

Well Done.

-D
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Hank,
As always, you do great work.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:16 am

My kind of collecting! lol Not much access to collect from nature myself so I too find myself hunting the end of season sales for worthy material, just goes to show if you wait it out you can find some nice material to play with, great work!
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:29 am

Nice Walmart collection. I have Botanix [ nurseries over Montreal area] autumn sales collection Very Happy
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:50 am

Hank,

You made some outstanding picks to begin with and you've done a really decent job on them.

Thanks for posting.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 am

Nice trees. I like the Austrian Pine the most. Good job! cheers
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:18 am

I like the pines most, but all look like they have good potential; nice group of trees!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. Chris: the Austrian pine is roughly 36" high. I purchased the tree in the fall about 4-5 years ago because of the nice mature bark on the lowerer trunk and the nice buttress. As It was fall I simply re-planted in a large growing container without messing with the root system. The next spring I began to work on the tree - removing many of the unwanted branches. At this time I bent the trunk ( initially it was as straight as a pipe) and wired the remaining branches into the positions I desired. I was not at this time intersted in neddle reduction so I fertilized the tree during the whole growing season. The tree responded extremely well. I sytematically removed the wire from the trunk and branches as required. In the second year I re-potted in a large mica container, pruning back the roots and re-wired where required. Again I fertilized regularly throughout the rest of the growing season as I wanted the tree to become more massive. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly this occurred. For the last 2 years I have begun to work on needle reduction and the distribution of foliage on the tree - pinching the candles and not fertilizing til mid June as one would do with a Japanese black pine. Last year the tree was moved into the present container. It needs to be re- wired and some of the growth on the upper part of the trunk has to be removed. My only concern about my Austrian Pine and many of my other Walmart trees is that they are a bit too large to fit into a Honda Civic. For awhile at least I have no plans to exhibit these trees. Regards Hank
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down