Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How well will Hedera helix grow during winter in Florida?

3 posters

Go down

How well will Hedera helix grow during winter in Florida? Empty How well will Hedera helix grow during winter in Florida?

Post  PeacefulAres Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:09 am

Right now, I have to keep these guys in the shade because the 90 degree heat is just too much.(it's also next to a fence they can climb up, but that's just a plus) When winter comes along, and the temperate is in the 70s, if I set them in full sun, how well will they grow? Anybody know?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

How well will Hedera helix grow during winter in Florida? Empty Re: How well will Hedera helix grow during winter in Florida?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:11 am

English Ivy will grow better in winter for you, but if it is the look you want consider Creeping fig
Ficus pumila is a vining plant with small leaves and aerial roots that will cling to a wall or moss pole. It is sometimes used to cover topiary forms. It requires higher humidity and more frequent watering than most Ficus.
The immature foliage is small but as the plant get older the foliage can get large and IMO less attractive, the solution is to prune it off and you will immature foliage again. It also gets a large fig, that I am told can be used in jams or jellies.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

How well will Hedera helix grow during winter in Florida? Empty Re: How well will Hedera helix grow during winter in Florida?

Post  PeacefulAres Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:English Ivy will grow better in winter for you, but if it is the look you want consider Creeping fig
Ficus pumila is a vining plant with small leaves and aerial roots that will cling to a wall or moss pole. It is sometimes used to cover topiary forms. It requires higher humidity and more frequent watering than most Ficus.
The immature foliage is small but as the plant get older the foliage can get large and IMO less attractive, the solution is to prune it off and you will immature foliage again. It also gets a large fig, that I am told can be used in jams or jellies.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that ficus. I actually have some grapes and Virginia creeper which should do excellently, considering they are horrible weeds down here. The ivy was a beautiful little variegated cultivar, which i picked up for only 3 dollars. I ended up getting 13 little plants out of the pot, so good deal.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:04 pm

PeacefulAres wrote:
Billy M. Rhodes wrote:English Ivy will grow better in winter for you, but if it is the look you want consider Creeping fig

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that ficus. I actually have some grapes and Virginia creeper which should do excellently, considering they are horrible weeds down here. The ivy was a beautiful little variegated cultivar, which i picked up for only 3 dollars. I ended up getting 13 little plants out of the pot, so good deal.

The native grape will do well anything else will struggle. Many cultivars are less vigorous than the regular variety, I think that is especially true of the variegated forms.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
PeacefulAres wrote:

The native grape will do well anything else will struggle. Many cultivars are less vigorous than the regular variety, I think that is especially true of the variegated forms.

Thanks. I may move the variegated ivy inside, and leave the regular ones outside. The Virgina creeper should be fine though, as it seems to be very prolific down here.

I actually picked up one of those creeping figs today, as well as a Eugenia(grown as a crummy topiary, but with a nice trunk). Should be interesting.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:20 pm

The only thing I can add is that H. h. can be really prone to root rot in hot, humid weather so perfect drainage is important. Inside, spider mits are a giant problem....
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:37 am

I have another question. The Fig I bought had dozens and dozens of little vines in it. DO you think it would be possible to separate them, and then wrap them around a frame, so that they would fuse to together as they grow?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 am

PeacefulAres wrote:I have another question. The Fig I bought had dozens and dozens of little vines in it. DO you think it would be possible to separate them, and then wrap them around a frame, so that they would fuse to together as they grow?

I think it would depend upon your goal. If you want something that gives the illusion of a thick trunk your plan might work, but I would select the few or single strongest and cut the rest off, with the eventual goal of one stem/trunk per pot.
I am not sure what your goal with the creeping fig is. It will quickly cover a structure but it will never look like even a non traditional bonsai. Maybe an accent plant.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down