Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newest Edition -recently collected privet

5 posters

Go down

Newest Edition -recently collected privet Empty Newest Edition -recently collected privet

Post  Robert J Penney Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:02 pm

This is the specimen from the "new privets survival thread " just thought id show people and see what they think .
Newest Edition -recently collected privet Jjun10

Robert J Penney

Back to top Go down

Newest Edition -recently collected privet Empty Re: Newest Edition -recently collected privet

Post  John Quinn Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Lots of potential!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Newest Edition -recently collected privet Empty Re: Newest Edition -recently collected privet

Post  fiona Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:42 pm

John Quinn wrote:Lots of potential!

And how!

Have you met Tony Tickle yet, Robert? That one is right up his street.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Do you know what variety of Privet (Ligustrum) you have there? I ask because Ligustrums have smooth bark & I've never seen that type on one. The bark has a Boxwood look to me.
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:19 am

Joey, most privet here is Ligustrum ovalifolium and it is a standard hedging plant in UK gardens. As they get bigger (and I'd guess the hedge was about 6feet tall and has been around for over 50years) they do develop a flaky gnarled bark. Also, it would be very unusual to get a Buxus (usually sempervirens here) with that size of trunk in the UK. It is not commonly used as a hedging plant for anything other than parterres and topiary.

Here are some hastily snapped pics of the bark on my own privet raw material which is of similar size to Robert's and is also an ex-hedge. Sorry for pic quality - it's after midnight here and is dark. Laughing

Newest Edition -recently collected privet Dscn1610

Newest Edition -recently collected privet Dscn1611

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bigbabol Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:56 am

a good material! congratulation and thanks for sharing
regards
biugbabol
bigbabol
bigbabol

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks for clearing that up Fiona. After all the smooth barked varieties I've found here (japonica, sinensis, vulgare), I'd LOVE to find one with that flaky bark, thanks for taking the time to snap some shots. Awesome material, both Robert's and yours, urban collecting at its finest!
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert J Penney Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks for the comments . Yes ive never seen a privet with such knarled bark i am very excited about it .
Fiona i think these were planted the same time the houses were built which apparantly is around 1937 so would make it approximately 65 years old .
Yes i have met Tony (lovely chap) i actually collected this tree a few days after going round to his place and meeting him for the first time ...
The wait for the buds begins but i was wondering will i get buds this late into the summer?

Robert

Robert J Penney

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Nothing surprises me about privet growth spurts - especially given the number of times I have to cut the hedges in my garden (I have 4ft high privet on one side and 6foot high on another) just after you think it couldn't possibly grow again 'til next year. I'm chucking feed at mine like it was going out of fashion and it seems to be putting out a few new shoots so you might get lucky down where you are.

Please let us see the pics once it starts growing. It's a great bit of material.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert J Penney Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:22 pm

thanks for the in put Fiona Very Happy

Robert J Penney

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert J Penney Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:07 pm

I have buds coming through on this now Very Happy

Robert J Penney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down