Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your thoughts on this stone

3 posters

Go down

Your thoughts on this stone Empty Your thoughts on this stone

Post  Johnny U Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:42 am

My name is John and I collect nephrite jade, mostly the rare botryoidal nephrite jade, in the North Cascade Mountains. Below are some photos of one of my favorite nephrite stones and it is one that I feel is worthy of Suiseki. It is a strongly worn botryoidal jade in form due to the power of our rivers and also exhibits some very unusual patina and vulcanization. I hope you like this stone and I am interested in your comments. I have many, many pieces of botryoidal nephrite from very small stones up to stones weighing 100 pounds. If there is interest I will post more photos.

Your thoughts on this stone Renifo14
Your thoughts on this stone Renifo15
Your thoughts on this stone Renifo16
Your thoughts on this stone Renifo12
Your thoughts on this stone Renifo13

Johnny U

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on this stone Empty Re: Your thoughts on this stone

Post  Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:35 am

Hi Johnny

Welcome to IBC Smile, I hope you will post many stones in the future.....

Your stone is really nice quality, as you already know.....If you want the stone looked at, as suisekimaterial, will you need to find the front, or more fronts, and show us a photo in eyehigh- a little ower...Look at other topics, and see how other suiseki are presented.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny U Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:55 am

Thank you for the kind words and the instructions on how to properly photograph this stone. I have much to learn but think that some of the stones I have found should be seen for other's enjoyment.

This is my favorite stone and one that I feel found me, I do not feel that I found the stone. It was in an area of a river I had passed by dozens of times and then one day in May this stone was sitting in the open with the sun shining on it - it was quite remarkable to me as most jade I find is buried in the gravel bars and only a very small amount is exposed to view.

This stone is unlike any stone I've found. It simply feels very, very old and it also feels like it has a great story to tell. There are 3 pools in this stone and river valleys flow into each. The patina is unlike any stone I've ever seen and the bronze back side of the stone is quite elegant. I find myself simply holding this stone often. It seems to want to be touched.

I will try soon to capture some better photos.

Again thank you,

John

Johnny U

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:36 am

Hi John

Look forward to more pictures....
You are right...sometimes stones is right in your eye, to be picked up, I tried it too..awesome.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi John/Johnny... Welcome to the IBC Stone Forum. We have other members active in collecting nephrite & botryoidal jade.

A well-known suiseki collector John/Johnny Uchida is a member of San Francisco Suiseki Kai. If you are that "Johnny," you should be teaching us.

Among viewing stone collectors of nephrite (including botryoidal) jade, Ken McLeod displays many on his galleries-- visit Suisekistones website (linked HERE). You'll note he cuts the bottom of many landscape view stones to fit a daiza (fitted wood seat). I recommend Ben Nanjo's small text Unkon Fu (distributed by San Francisco Suiseki Kai) to put your stones of evocative contour in context of suiseki & viewing stone appreciation in the Western United States.

There is a lot of comment on daiza design & fitting on this forum. You can search for comments throughout the forum by going to the IBC homepage (linked HERE) where there is a Google Search Box for entering a key word search of forum posts.

Good Hunting!
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny U Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:31 am

Chris - thanks so much for the information and web sites. I'm not John Uchida - I live a well over 500 miles north of him! I have a lot of respect for the Northern California area jade collectors however, they have beautiful material and it is getting so hard to continue to find great stones after so many decades of people searching. I know some people who use helicopters to get into areas that have not been picked so often and they do quite well.

Personally I just love crawling up and down the mountains with my dogs looking for beautiful stones. I never knew much about Suiseki until some people in my rock club mentioned that some of the stones I showed them may be of interest. As mentioned, I primarily search for botryoidal, reniform, or mammilary forms of nephrite but I see so many unique and beautifully carved stones made by nature. Many aren't jade and I respect people who enjoy stones simply for their form and not necessarily their composition.

Here is a stone I just found; this stone is a mammilary form of nephrite jade with fairly transparent serpentine enveloping much of the jade. I was quite excited to find this stone although I've found some slightly similar; just not quite this interesting and unique. It weighs 77 pounds. I hope you like it. I'm just not sure that these forms are worthy of Suiseki although I have seen botryoidals used often. I guess I need to learn more and hopefully those links will help! Thank you!

Your thoughts on this stone Img_2711

Johnny U

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on this stone Empty On the Right Track

Post  stonener Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Hey "U"
Welcome aboard... Basketball
nice quality, good stuff!
There's a book!... study
Ask Ms Yvonne?
Happy Hunting... cyclops

Last edited by stonener on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : +)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down