Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yew training information

4 posters

Go down

Yew training information Empty Yew training information

Post  Neil-Dellinger Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:30 am

I'm hoping one of you guys (Will, Tony et al.) who knows from experience can summarize clearly some yew training steps aimed at building branch structure.

Specifically, when to wire, when pinch new growth & how much, pull old leaves, fertilization tips etc.....and what to expect if its done correctly.

Posting photos to illustrate is worth extra credit!!! Very Happy

Thanks guys.

Neil-Dellinger

Back to top Go down

Yew training information Empty Re: Yew training information

Post  Neil-Dellinger Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:12 am

I can't believe there's nothing.

Come on guys. I am certain someone has something to help out.

Neil-Dellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:16 am

Neil,
I read your post but I don't have much experience with yews. I, too, am waiting for others to respond.
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaimeister Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:13 am

Hi Neil,

Don't know if this is of any help to you: http://www.lancasterbonsai.com/Care%20Tips%20Files/Taxus.htm

Graham Potter also has a few videos on YouTube re. the styling of yews. IIRC, they don't have a load of species specific info, but they are a good source of inspiration for those working with taxus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPZCboXJJAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-5yl5D_GOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt52abVVpVo

Good luck!
BM
bonsaimeister
bonsaimeister

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:01 am

Hi Neil and Todd.

I have just logged on using a friends computer as I am away travelling again. When I am back home I will answer this post Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:39 pm

Thank you for the links BM. Tony, look forward to your post.
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil-Dellinger Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks Tony! I did'nt want to call you out in front of everyone and put you on the spot. There was another person I thought may also have some good information. I won't use names, but his initials are Will Badely. Smile

Looking forward to learning something new Tony.
Thanks.
Neil

Neil-Dellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Neil, I'm also interested in this, so thanks for asking. I have a nice yew that I acquired last summer, gave it it's first serious trimming this spring and cut back the new growth last week. Should be ready to start some more significant styling work next year.

Haven't had the chance to check out those videos yet, thanks for posting those BM...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Newly collected yews really must not be worked for at least three years from collecting. But during this period you can be working on deadwood creation or refinement. Also what happens during this time is the strong areas of the tree become defined, and these are the areas that you will build the tree.

In the early years of development you should be looking towards building branch structure and ramification. It's all very well styling a tree to satisfy your desire for a 'finished' image but you cannot do this with Yew. They take time... But it's worth it. Back budding takes place on third year growth. So... Build the tree in such a way that the dense foliage clouds are close to the trunk on branches that are in the third season. What this means is that the tree will look 'leggy' (take a look at my VERY BIG yew on my blog) when you first style.

In the. Last three years I have worked on health, deadwood... And at Burrs Workshop this year the tree will have it's first 'styling' but it will NOT be a finished image. I will be putting the structure in place.

If you have a tree ready to build foliage now is the time to remove the old needles on the growth from two years ago. Around September you will see the new buds developing. These will be the formation of your foliage clouds.

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil-Dellinger Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Tony,
This is good information. Does this mean that removing needles and pinching new growth is not productive/preferred unless branches are 3+ seasons old? I am guessing that during this time one would wire primary branches into desired positions.

In short, you are establishing the strength of the tree while building a volume of branches, developing the deadwood and then building the tree around the deadwood/trunk line.

Spring-Summer-Pinch new growth??
Mid-Late summer- remove 3 year old needles
Autumn-Winter- Wire?

Thanks,
Neil

Neil-Dellinger

Back to top Go down

Yew training information Empty More needle stuff

Post  Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Neil-Dellinger wrote:Tony,
This is good information. Does this mean that removing needles and pinching new growth is not productive/preferred unless branches are 3+ seasons old? I am guessing that during this time one would wire primary branches into desired positions.

In short, you are establishing the strength of the tree while building a volume of branches, developing the deadwood and then building the tree around the deadwood/trunk line.

Spring-Summer-Pinch new growth??
Mid-Late summer- remove 3 year old needles
Autumn-Winter- Wire?

Thanks,
Neil

You are bang on Neil. The depth of branches comes on the third year growth... So often this is missed. You remove third year at the middle of the third years growth. Does this make sense? 1-2-3( remove 1 needles)
BTW I am still on Holiday in Vienna!

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil-Dellinger Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:31 am

Thanks for the advice Tony. Enjoy your vacation!!

Smile
Neil

Neil-Dellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down