Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with a Hinoki Cypress (I think)

4 posters

Go down

Help with a Hinoki Cypress (I think) Empty Help with a Hinoki Cypress (I think)

Post  Jake16 Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Help with a Hinoki Cypress (I think) 210close up of trunk

Help with a Hinoki Cypress (I think) Mail-410

I am not sure what to do with this, I dug it up out of my fiance's mom's garden. I think that it might make a nice bunjin or literati. Im also not sure if I should keep the second trunk. Any suggestions on pad development would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by Jake16 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Help with a Hinoki Cypress (I think) Empty Re: Help with a Hinoki Cypress (I think)

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Your first photo is too small to be of much use and your second is too close. I think I would plant the tree is the largest container you can, with the best soil and wait to see what happens maybe as long as a year.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Help with a Hinoki Cypress (I think) Empty Re: Help with a Hinoki Cypress (I think)

Post  Jake16 Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Sorry for the small pics I just fixed this one also.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:10 pm

If this survives you should cut to one trunk and try to get bud break lower on the plant.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:26 pm

That was my first thought but I've read that Hinoki Cypresses do not like to bud back on old wood.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Looks more like an arborvitae than Hinoki to me. But the moral of the story (won't backbud) is the same.

My advice is to use it to learn whatever you want to learn. How to keep it alive and how maintain this kind of foliage should be on your list. First off, decide that you are not going to do anything to it other than get it healthy this season.

Personally I would use it to learn about bending branches/trunks. However unlikely, I might get lucky and bend one of them into a nice literati form good enough to keep. Maybe some of those trunks/branches will need to be split in order to bend them - need a Dremmel/Makita tool to split the branch, vet-wrap/raffia, heavy gage wire and etc. (as in 'ooo, lots of toys of the trade/hobby to play with too!'). I would keep studying and keep looking for images of good literati that get me excited and try to imitate one of them with this 'thing'. Then, three or four years from now I could graduate and confidently move on, regardless of whether I've had any artistic success or not with this particular tree.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:09 am

Osoyoung,

Yeah it looks like that one too, I dont know what it is but im sure it doesnt matter but so much. Smile Thank you for your post it was very helpful. I was going to let it rest this year but its soooooo hard not to touch a tree for a whole year Smile. It funny you mentioned experimenting with this tree because I have another small one that looks like its from the same species (it had a weird name and nana at the end, also it is back budding) and I was going to experiment with both. I am going to see how cutting v's in the trunk and bending it to get movement works. I wasnt planning on this one being an award winning tree but I saw some potential. Also I love a good literati tree, I have already looked through thousands of pics, so I figured i would try my hand at one.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:44 pm

I found the solution to impatience, waiting for a tree to grow before you can do the next technique. GET MORE TREES. cheers Once you have enough trees in progress that you can't possibly keep up, only then will you have the patience to let certain ones grow out before the next treatment.

I too think you have Thuja occidentalis a.k.a arborvitae, or white cedar, which is excellent as a medium to large bonsai, and can with patience be forced into a shohin size bonsai. Nick Lenz has a great chapter on them in his book on collecting US trees. Easily available as urban yamadori (dig up old home landscape plants). Get it healthy then experiment.

Have fun.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:52 pm

haha yeah I already have four/five because my fiance doesnt take care of hers and I have four air layers going right now. But can you ever have to many trees Very Happy
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down