Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this copper wire suitable shaping

+4
drgonzo
David D
Billy M. Rhodes
Josh S.
8 posters

Go down

Is this copper wire suitable shaping Empty Is this copper wire suitable shaping

Post  Josh S. Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:48 pm

I do electrical work and have access to any size and any length copper wire that's available. And not with the insulation on I do strip the insulation off. My question is, is it known to be suitable for trees and plants? I know copper wire used for electrical work might have a coating on it or a layer or something that might be toxic. Other than that copper wire is no different from the next copper wire only it measured in the terms 16 AWG and #8 wire. Im not cheap but if I have access to wire why not use it instead of buying expensive Bonsai wire.

-Josh
Josh S.
Josh S.

Back to top Go down

Is this copper wire suitable shaping Empty Re: Is this copper wire suitable shaping

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:48 am

Nothing wrong with the free wire, but it might need to be annealed. This is a heat treatment that softens the wire so it can be worked more easily. Then as you work the wire around the tree it makes it harder. Usually annealing means getting the wire red glowing hot and then letting it cool. I would strip the plastic coating first. An old Bonsai friend would use his Barbeque grill, when he finished his steaks he would put the wire on the coals.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Is this copper wire suitable shaping Empty Re: Is this copper wire suitable shaping

Post  David D Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:14 am

I have done the same thing with electrical wire. After stripping the coating I used a torch to heat the wire in a vice. Never been a problem for my trees and as Billy stated it is easier to work after it is annealed.
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:04 am

I anneal copper wire in my wood stove. Though you're not likely to have one down in florida.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:38 am

Don't lay the wire on a metal grill to anneal it, if you go too far the copper could begin to melt and stick to the grill, that is why you see us talking about wood or charcoal. The wire is laid right on the coals.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 am

Remind me, what's a barbecue again? Wink
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:46 am

fiona wrote:Remind me, what's a barbecue again? Wink

It is a Southern United States Male Redneck ritual that involves meat and beer.

The secrets of the ceremony are not shared with females and certainly not with aliens.

Although I have heard reports of a similar ritual in Australia but usually involving seafood, which is a total heresy.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:41 pm

To ease myself from the tyranny of copper wire, I took up clip and grow, or grow and clip as you wish, with the use of large pots.

BUT as an ace in the hole, I also have the jewellery equipment to draw cast copper shapes into wire.

AND to further "irritate" Billy, we have further added on the cookery of - curry-que - Laughing
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote: we have further added on the cookery of - curry-que - Laughing
NOW yer talkin'! And you can do all of this indoors can you Wink ?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Barbecue is a backyard activity, it by definition can not be done inside.
Also, if charcoal is used, which is the only true source of heat for barbecue, it really isn't safe indoors. (The fumes)
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:35 pm

raw copper wire wont do a lot more than aluminum wire for bonsai. Copper becomes easily worked when annealed, but becomes work-hardened when bent. Physical properties change when it is bent that wont be changed back until it is reheated, thereby making it a good choice for holding it's shape when bent on branches.
See this article by one of our own. http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/copperwi.htm
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:42 pm

redneck meat ritual lol, classic! Very Happy - here in sunny ! cornwall we love doing beer can chicken in the weber, but salmon and smoke chips is pretty good too, and garlic bread............

now i'm cheers hungry cheers
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down