Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy

+17
Sakaki
dorothy7774
Brett Summers
newzealandteatree
Orion
Rob Kempinski
Mike Jones
lordy
Randy_Davis
Smithy
Walter Pall
drgonzo
stavros
Todd Ellis
Rick36
Poink88
Sebastijan Sandev
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Empty Re: INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy

Post  Walter Pall Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 am

tony wrote:
Walter once said I was "like a dog with fleas" and this was a compliment!

Tony,

I think I remember to have said something like this: " Tony, if you continue to hang around with me at conventions you are like the noble dog that is friendly with the proletarin dogs. In the end it has fleas".

If not true, at leat a good story. Compliment? sure.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Empty Re: INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy

Post  Brett Summers Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:37 am

I would be sitting in the front row of any class room you taught Walter but some of your opinions seem very closed at the moment and that does not seem your usual track.
Maybe this is not the best example but I have become very fond of bonsai that have branches that go forever and I think it is also very natural looking where the condensed foliage as you seem to suggest is more a caricature of a tree.

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Long_b10
Sorry I don't have a credit for this picture.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick36 Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:48 am

As a newcomer to forums, this seems a good point to ask - is there a difference between "being inspired by" and "copying" in bonsai? Over the years I have learnt a good deal about the horticulture, but the artistic talent is missing (or not yet found, and it is getting rather late!). So what can one do but follow the best examples? I justify it by telling myself that I will never assist the tree/s to become a masterpiece original "painting", but I can have a reasonable "print" and love that for itself.

Rick36

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:49 am

Brett,

I am not suggesting condesed foliage in all cases. Onla the majortiy fo the crowns of amateurs are way too large.
And it is NOT only about ntural look. It is about artistic proportions.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:58 am

Maybe I am reading more into what you are saying than you really are. I agree and I guess I have never touched on the fact that an overly large nebari could be off set by a larger crown so that is obviously an excellent tip and advice.
But could you clarify what you think of trees with long branches such as this better example. I find it absolutely stunning and very natural looking myself.
INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Img_2910
See this picture and many more here
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t4823-taiwan-in-2010-15th-chapter-of-national-huafeng-bonsai-exhibition

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Brett,

the tree that you are posting can only be done by having an extemly compact crown for a few years in the beginning. Otherwise the branches will have no taper and be just too long. This is a good example for my insisting in cutting back MORE than you think necessary in the beginning. What looks like naturally grown is the result of militant horticultural regime over decades.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks Walter,
I think it is simply my misunderstanding. It is common for trees to be too tall with many bonsai people but as we where talking an Academy I figured we where talking about more advanced trees/practitioners. I like the saying grow your branches like you grow your trunks. I do understand there is alot of work to get these amazing branches that seem to go forever.
I have really started to appreciate these tall elegant yet powerful trees.
This style seems to be more common in the Indonesian areas. Any idea why this style is popular there? I wondered if it was fast growing conditions that allowed them to get these results quicker than others?

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Walter Pall wrote:
tony wrote:
Walter once said I was "like a dog with fleas" and this was a compliment!
" Tony, if you continue to hang around with me at conventions you are like the noble dog that is friendly with the proletarin dogs. In the end it has fleas"..

Wooooo after the beers it kinda got lost in translation Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:19 pm

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Popcorne Basketball pirat bounce
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Empty INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - Episode III - Walter Pall talks about a world class deciduous material

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:41 pm

EPISODE III - Walter Pall talks about a world class deciduous material

Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Empty INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - Episode IV - First review of a raw material

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:01 am

Episode IV - Walter Pall talks about this year's new raw material

Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:50 am

Mr. Sandev

Thanks thousand times for sharing these with us!

Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:08 am

Sakaki wrote:Mr. Sandev

Taner

You' re welcome. There is more Smile
Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 am

Sebastijan Sandev wrote:

Taner

I also would like to see developments of your trees shown in these videos!

Thank you
Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:59 am

Sakaki wrote:
Sebastijan Sandev wrote:

Taner

I also would like to see developments of your trees shown in these videos!

Thank you
Taner

Everything I do is on my blog here... http://sandevbonsai.blogspot.com/ ... and all videos are here... https://www.youtube.com/user/SandevBonsai?feature=guide
I will show progress
Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 am

Thank you!
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Empty INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - Episode V - Killer nebari

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks Sebastijan and Walter. Fantastic information and videos! Thanks for sharing!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:12 pm

I add my voice to the crowd in thanking you both.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Empty Episode VI - Monstrous Fagus sylvatica

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Empty INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - Episode VII - Gigantic Carpinus..styling

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:56 am

Episode VII - Gigantic Carpinus orientalis, styling

Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Empty INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - Episode VIII - Beautiful little Carpinus orintalis in leaf

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:28 am

Episode VIII - Beautiful little Carpinus in leaf

Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Sebastijan,

Nice collection and I find it funny when Walter says they are ugly now but will be great bonsai later...I find them very pretty now! Of course I understand what he is saying. It is nice to see and hear the master share his wisdom, even just in videos.

The ultimate compliment I think is whenever Walter says it should be his tree or it belongs in his garden. LOL Dance

Congrats and please keep us posted.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:40 pm

I just love these videos. I love the material, and esp. Walters' comments on the various trees. Very informative and I like it when he says exactly 'why' this or that needs to be done.

Chris
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

INTERNATIONAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - The Plato's Cave Analogy - Page 2 Empty INTERNATIOINAL BONSAI ACADEMY with Walter Pall - Episode IX - Hedera helix bonsai and difficult pot selection

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next