Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotoneaster dammeri

4 posters

Go down

Cotoneaster dammeri Empty Cotoneaster dammeri

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:36 pm

This little fellow (6 inches) is always pretty when in bloom.

It always has fewer berries than flowers (maybe somebody eats them?) so it's not quite as nice in the fall.

Cotoneaster dammeri Cotone10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Cotoneaster dammeri Empty Re: Cotoneaster dammeri

Post  marcus watts Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 am

any progression for us to see with this one Jim ? Twisted Evil
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:53 am

marcus watts wrote:any progression for us to see with this one Jim ? Twisted Evil

I second that.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:36 pm

I have pics of it in various pots over the years, but they weren't designed as "progressions." It has spent most of its life in a pot as a root-over-rock, but I decided I didn't like it.

This forum is for pics of "finished" trees -- not necessarily just those with a long, recorded life history.

However, here's one as a ROR, FWIW.

Cotoneaster dammeri Casca011
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Jim.

Don't take this as a form of insult to you please. but really, and honestly, I am still at lost on the functions of our new added sections. namely the "Bonsai Progressions and Advanced techniques" and the "Personal Space Galleries." This tree of yours, if I would personally classify this, I would put it in the "Personal Galleries" or in the "Bonsai Discussions". Maybe when Fiona's proposal of renaming the new forum as "Finished Bonsai" your tree would fit in it perfectly, but for now when the forum title is still about- Bonsai Progression and Advanced Techniques the tree you posted should be located elsewhere then maybe move it back later on if ever we managed to come up with "Finished Trees" forum title.

I've been asking Fiona and Kev regarding this new features, May I know your views? I think if we would take your premise on your statements above the two or three new sections would have an overlapping ideas/functions.

Nice tree by the way.

regards,
Jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:23 pm

I think a wee bit of patience is the best approach here. If the suggestion to have this forum for Finished Trees goes ahead, then that would include single shots of finished trees as well as sequences (The difficulty with asking for progressions sequences for finished trees is that 1. not very many people have them, and 2. to generate new ones is by definition a lengthy process.) Jim's thread would therefore be in keeping as indeed would your original one that we moved and Rob's too and we'd move those ones back. Given that this change might be imminent, it seemed pointless to move Jim's tree. If it doesn't happen we can move it. It is also expected that by posting in Finished Trees or whatever we call it, posters are open to comments from other members, unless of course they indicate otherwise in which case we'd probably suggest they want to start a gallery.

The Personal Space - Galleries is for where people want to "exhibit" their trees but without any comments from viewers. To that end it is our version of the rather useless Gallery function at the top of the page as to get that working would have involved extra expense.

Bonsai Discussion is really for everything else to do with trees which are still undergoing work and the other discussions we have. If a thread is just too general we may move it to Off Topic but that would be done on the individual merits of the threads.

btw if and when we change anything, it will be accompanied by a Sticky at the top of each forum explaining precisely what goes in it. That should remove any remaining doubt.

Hope that helps

F
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:29 pm

fiona wrote:I think a wee bit of patience is the best approach here. If the suggestion to have this forum for Finished Trees goes ahead, then that would include single shots of finished trees as well as sequences (The difficulty with asking for progressions sequences for finished trees is that 1. not very many people have them, and 2. to generate new ones is by definition a lengthy process.) Jim's thread would therefore be in keeping as indeed would your original one that we moved and Rob's too and we'd move those ones back. Given that this change might be imminent, it seemed pointless to move Jim's tree. If it doesn't happen we can move it. It is also expected that by posting in Finished Trees or whatever we call it, posters are open to comments from other members, unless of course they indicate otherwise in which case we'd probably suggest they want to start a gallery.

The Personal Space - Galleries is for where people want to "exhibit" their trees but without any comments from viewers. To that end it is our version of the rather useless Gallery function at the top of the page as to get that working would have involved extra expense.

Bonsai Discussion is really for everything else to do with trees which are still undergoing work and the other discussions we have. If a thread is just too general we may move it to Off Topic but that would be done on the individual merits of the threads.

btw if and when we change anything, it will be accompanied by a Sticky at the top of each forum explaining precisely what goes in it. That should remove any remaining doubt.

Hope that helps

F

Thanks again Fiona.
A few more new threads here and there, and I can grasp it's whole idea.
Thanks too for your patience!

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:11 pm

There's always a shakedown period when you start something new or change something old. (And there are always people who simply don't like change -- ever, in any form.)

I may have jumped the gun on my single picture, but it is -- I think -- as "finished" as any tiny tree ever gets.

The difficulty with asking for progressions sequences for finished trees is that

1. not very many people have them, and

Let me add a 1.5 here:

A few of us see little or no purpose in progressions. I, for one (and this is strictly ME, as far as I know among the mods here) have no interest in a dozen photos (or more) of half-done bonsai. I'm quite interested in seeing "finished" bonsai, but the earlier stages in its life hold no interest for me. I'll likely never see that tree "in person", and since every tree is different, the progressions likely aren't going to have any relevance to any tree I ever work on.

But that said, if you like 'em, have at it.

And if you want this one moved somewhere else, I'll happily do it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 pm

haha, i knew this would crop up.

As it stands my personal feelings for this section are Totally and Completely to show the techniques that are required to progress or refine a piece of material into a 'finished' tic bonsai. This section should be to help, teach and inspire others that by applying specific documented (and picture documented) methods they can achieve similar results. That is why it is essential that the poster can show pictures of not only the material they started with, but how they work, and what they have created. This section of the forum has the potential to help more people to create good bonsai than any other part as they will look here first for the 'secrets and methods'- it is afterall a learning section and not just a showcase area

It makes no difference that there are only a few people with pictures in hand - the entire section will evolve slowly, begining the day it was created, with members who wish to contribute here and who can be bothered to start taking pictures of their methods as they work

I personally feel a single picture is a gallery item unless you have a wealth of tips and hints to pass on to accompany the pic - if not we could just say "here is a great tree i just gave £4000 for and put it here as advanced when really it may be very very nice but teach the viewers nothing. This section should be about what is needed to create or refine a true bonsai - it takes time and commitment to make the posts worthwhile in the same way as it takes time and commitment to make the tree in the first place

thanks,

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Totally agree with Marcus here. Magazine type articles and progressions are what I thought would be in this section. It may take a while though.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Oh lord! I'm rapidly losing the will to live here. Very Happy What you both are saying was most certainly the original idea of this forum. BUT, then people complained so we asked the membership if they'd be happier if it was simply for finished trees - posted either as a sequence or as a single picture and that seemed to be the preferred option. I wish the comments made on here had been made earlier because now it seems the ball is right back up on the slates again.

I'm beginning to think we need to put out a simple vote on this but it's just becoming like we're really taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut now. And I'm personally feeling it's my nut that is being cracked. I'll add a load of smileys but quite frankly they're really only there to hide a deepening frustration over this whole episode. Laughing Very Happy Wink cheers
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down