Wood stain on deciduous trees?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wood stain on deciduous trees?

Post  Gideon on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:19 pm

I really don't like the white look of lime sulfur on deciduous trees so I was thinking of staining the wood after a coat of lime sulfur. Has anybody used water, or spirit based wood stains on deciduous deadwood before? If so which one was the best and what colors do you prefer?

Gideon
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Wood stain on deciduous trees?

Post  JimLewis on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I use stains all the time. I use them to mask the cut ends of branches, the scars where branches are cut off, to match deadwood to the "natural" wood color, etc.

Here is what I use; they are another MinWax product:




_________________
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Wood stain on deciduous trees?

Post  Gideon on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Thank you Jim. I see these are oil based, I was avoiding those stains thinking they might be bad but I see that I can use them. I have a lot of deadwood to cover so I need to purchase the cans not the markers. But I got the answer I needed. Thank you again.

Gideon
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Wood stain on deciduous trees?

Post  Fore on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Gideon wrote:I really don't like the white look of lime sulfur on deciduous trees so I was thinking of staining the wood after a coat of lime sulfur. Has anybody used water, or spirit based wood stains on deciduous deadwood before? If so which one was the best and what colors do you prefer?
Or just add ink, water based stain to the LS.

Fore
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Wood stain on deciduous trees?

Post  Poink88 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Fore wrote:Or just add ink, water based stain to the LS.
The LS won't react or destroy the stain? Also, I personally prefer the freedom to create different shades using separate/different colors.

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Wood stain on deciduous trees?

Post  Dale Cochoy on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:59 pm

You might enjoy my article and photos here:
This is how I have handled it for years.

http://ofbonsai.org/galleries/progressions/a-starter-azalea-bonsai-ten-years-in-the-making

Regards,
D.

Dale Cochoy
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Wood stain on deciduous trees?

Post  Mike Jones on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Gideon; what deciduous are you making reference to ... ? I'll tell you quite happily what I do with evergreens if that is of any help.

Mike Jones
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Wood stain on deciduous trees?

Post  Gideon on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Dale Cochoy wrote:You might enjoy my article and photos here:
This is how I have handled it for years.

http://ofbonsai.org/galleries/progressions/a-starter-azalea-bonsai-ten-years-in-the-making

Regards,
D.

Thanks Dale! I did enjoy the read. I love seeing tree progressions. And gives me ideas in the future with acrylic paints. thumbs up

Gideon
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Wood stain on deciduous trees?

Post  Gideon on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Mike Jones wrote:Gideon; what deciduous are you making reference to ... ? I'll tell you quite happily what I do with evergreens if that is of any help.

Well I meant it in general but in this instance I was specifically talking about a mulberry tree. Thanks for the offer! But I should know most of the generic tricks on evergreens regarding this topic. But if you have any cool secrets... DO SHARE! Very Happy

Gideon
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Wood stain on deciduous trees?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:30 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum