Router bits on die grinder. Anyone?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Router bits on die grinder. Anyone?

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:20 pm

You are welcome Dario.

....BUT, If you can get your hands into better bits, don't settle for router bits. I am just used to using router bits due to the fact that it is quite difficult to acquire other carving bits here locally. precision cutting/carving needs a very steady hand when you are using router bits. and the approach angle of the tips should be just right to control the die grinder better. I think between 30 degree angle to 45 degree angle is just right to have a better control. If you pressed it too much and the angle is too stiff there is a tendency that the bits will snapped out of the tool and when the angle is very low there is a tendency that you'll lose control of the die grinder or hit a living part. of the tree. ...just based on my own experience.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:48 pm

Great carving there Jun. Just think of the depth you could get with some longer bits? Try Rudi in Slovakia. His prices are competitive and I know people who are buying them as far as Australia. rspanko@gmail.com
Thanks for the caveat re router bits

will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Jun,

Thanks for the warning. I know not to push my tools, I just let them do the work and I try to exert the least possible force. Very Happy

I also have a set of carving bits (Neiko Tools 8-Piece Double Cut Carbide Rotary Burr Set) http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-8-Piece-Double-Carbide-Rotary/dp/B0016KD0H8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT11_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I24DBUZCFF24XG&colid=5ZVUMZ1HYG6A for other applications. I intend on getting other carving bits as needed. I just don't see myself doing carvings like Graham Potter yet.

I also have this Arbortech Mini carver http://www.amazon.com/Arbortech-Complete-Mini-Grinder-Carving/dp/B00455R1HG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_T1?ie=UTF8&coliid=ILESYKDWYQJ8W&colid=5ZVUMZ1HYG6A and of course a Dremel with shaft connector.

I have more tools than I should at my (bonsai) stage but most of it are from my other "hobby". Very Happy

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:05 pm

One more thing that I want to share that I learned is that some users forget to keep their collet (or bit's shaft) clean. It is very critical that no debris or gunk is in them to have positive hold AND so the bits run true and not "wobble". This can and will cause a hazardous situation.

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:48 am

will baddeley wrote:Great carving there Jun. Just think of the depth you could get with some longer bits? Try Rudi in Slovakia. His prices are competitive and I know people who are buying them as far as Australia. rspanko@gmail.com
Thanks for the caveat re router bits

Thanks Will, both for the supplier info and more on the appreciation on my little carving effort specially coming from a high caliber carver like you.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy on Wed May 23, 2012 6:02 pm

I've been using Freud or Whiteside CORE BOX router bits for many years now since I FIRST saw Dan Robinson using them at a symposium, maybe 25 years ago?
I use the 5 sizes from 3/16" to 5/8" diameter cutting heads. They ARE harder to control than cutters with multiple cutting heads that have cutting faces at lesser angles, and take some 'paying attention' during use.

They are good examples for what I ALWAYS tell newbie carvers.... "Don't TALK to ANYONE while YOU are carving, and don't let ANYONE talk to YOU while you are carving. If someone needs to talk, stop carving until the conversation is finished"

Router bits remove wood heavily but clean up real nice with burrs.

I've NEVER seen one break or lose a cutting face when used on a bonsai!!!! They are made for those speeds. Smaller are completely solid carbide and larger use carbide cutter faces.

If you've seen Dan Robinsons new book or ever seen any of his carving I'm pretty sure most of his refinement was mainly done using core box router bits?

I took a bunch of these to Seoul, Korea in '97 for the World Convention where I sold only carving tools. They sold out in about one hour to mainly the Japanese who told me they were nearly impossible to get there ( back then at least) and cost about 3X what I was charging!!

Jun, some nice carving there!

BTW, I own, sell, and use most other carving tools out there!
I'd love to try some of Spanko's but we just can't seem to get our email translations and payment methods in line.

D.

Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:27 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum