Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graphical Text Translation

5 posters

Go down

Graphical Text Translation Empty Graphical Text Translation

Post  DangerousBry Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi All.....

I was wondering if someone could help me out please.

I've been part of the Vale of Clwyd Bonsai Society club for 3 years, and haven't a clue what the Calligraphic text in the logo says. I was wondering if there was someone out there that was able to give me a translation please???

..... KEV you might be able to help???

Heres the Pic so you can have a look see......

Graphical Text Translation Bloglo10

THANKS
Bryan
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Graphical Text Translation Empty Re: Graphical Text Translation

Post  Levi Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:34 pm

盆栽 (bonsai)
Levi
Levi

Back to top Go down

Post  DangerousBry Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Levi wrote:盆栽 (bonsai)

Thanks Levi for your reply..... I did worry it might have been a silly question =)

There are some many permutation's in the calligraphics that you find online, it was confusing.

Regards
Bryan
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Post  Levi Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:47 pm

no, you're right, this one was difficult. i thought it must be bonsai (or penzai as i learned it in chinese) with the second character being not too much of a problem to make out, but the bottom half of the first character looked enough like a different character that i went on and asked my chinese girlfriend to confirm it.
Levi
Levi

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Yep Levi has it spot on. It is bonsai. The outline may have evolved somewhat as I drew it initially, based on Peter Chan's, and then it has been redrawn by Sean when he redid the site graphics.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Always advisable to check.

We once acquired a lovely scroll as a present from someone who'd been on a tour of Japan to the Scottish Bonsai Association. It was then used in a display at a major event - right up to the point when we found a couple of Japanese people standing looking puzzled at it. One eventually plucked up the courage to ask (with typical Japanese politeness) why we were advertising beer on our bonsai display.

Exit pursued by a beer.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  DangerousBry Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:36 am

fiona wrote:Always advisable to check.

We once acquired a lovely scroll as a present from someone who'd been on a tour of Japan to the Scottish Bonsai Association. It was then used in a display at a major event - right up to the point when we found a couple of Japanese people standing looking puzzled at it. One eventually plucked up the courage to ask (with typical Japanese politeness) why we were advertising beer on our bonsai display.

Exit pursued by a beer.

For people who don't understand the language or the script it really could mean anything.... I once chatted to someone who had a Chinese script Tattoo on their arm or shoulder. When in a Chinese take away wondered why the ladies behind the till were laughing at him!!!
Can't remember what it said but it can't have been good!

Bryan
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Post  Levi Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:00 am

Actually in one of my Chinese classes, my prof showed us a website that was nothing but pictures of Chinese character tattoos that Westerners had and didn't know what they meant. Most of them were pretty silly. I figure if its something permanently being put on my body, I would at least confirm its meaning.
Levi
Levi

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Some "misleading" tats, I suspect, are put on with malice aforethought.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  DangerousBry Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Like Levi.... I think if I was going to have 'ink' I would certainly have to check the authenticity of the text before having a tattoo done.

Bry
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down