Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason

+17
evanB
akhater
AlainK
Hans Vleugels
Brett Summers
darky
Norma
fiona
lordy
bonsaisr
Gary Swiech
Mowgonie
John Romano
moyogijohn
landerloos
Rui Marques
Loke Emil
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Empty 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason

Post  Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi All

The cuttings now had a sice suitable for shohin, so I felt like potting them this year, as I want to work on the branches now....

They may go back in bigger pots for more develoment, if I am not happy after all. For now, will I enjoy them pottet, at least untill midsummer, where I expect them to be potbound, and can go back to bigger pots unharmed.

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Img_0216

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Img_0217

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Img_0218
To be larger

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Img_0219
2 trunk

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Img_0220
3 trunk from the base

Hope you like them.
Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Empty Re: 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason

Post  Loke Emil Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi Yvonne

All these elms popping up this spring all over forums... delicate, inspirering.

Your trees are certainly on to a good start.

regards

/Loke Emil
Loke Emil
Loke Emil

Back to top Go down

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Empty Re: 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason

Post  Rui Marques Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi Yvonne,

In Portugal, Nire Elms are very dificult to find. and the ones i've seen are imported.

How do you got them? by yamadori?

thanks
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi Rui

They are cuttings from a shohin from Japan.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:They are cuttings from a shohin from Japan.

Are they from the same shohin? do you have a photo?
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi Rui

Your tree looks like a zelkowa with big leaves.....

My tree stands 14 cm. tall, and has only very small leaves, the tree was already old, when I bought in Japan more than ten years ago.

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Img_0221

Photo is 5 minutes old Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi Yvonne,

I like the first 2 and the last one a lott. what a resulr in only 5 sesons (in europe)
I ve seen Yvonnes elm a few times for real, and its one of the best elm shohin I have ever seen in europe.

Yvonne my small mame one on a rock died on me Sad

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Empty 5 ulmus nire cutting faceing 5th year

Post  moyogijohn Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:15 pm

YVONNE,, Your trees are looking great !! I love the one that the cuttings came from!! nice work you do with all your trees. take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  John Romano Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Sweet Yvonne!
Very Happy

John Romano

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:37 am

Thanks guys

For all your nice replies Smile

It would be of great help for me, if s
omebody could make a nice virtual of the 3-trunk, as I am not confident how I should shape the crown....direction, emty spaces, and so on.

Also a 2-trunk virtual would be very nice.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Mowgonie Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 am

Hi Yvonne, what soil-mix do you use? I see you have some LECA in there, thats why i got curious =)

Mowgonie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:34 am

Hi Mowgonie read this

LECA planting medium.

1, 2, by Mike Jones in Bonsai Discussion.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Very nice tree Yvonne.

I've never tried the Japanese Nire elm. I'll have to look for one. I like it. I grow zelkovas and Ulmus parvifolia.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Empty Ulmus Nire

Post  bonsaisr Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:02 am

What exactly do you mean by Ulmus Nire? Nire is simply the Japanese word for elm.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Iris

I dont know that much about names and species.
I have pretty much up to now, been thinking this was the name of this kind of Ulmus. Now I dont know....Maybe someone can help me.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:39 pm

I have heard it used to refer to the corkbark variety.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi Lordy

I dont see any corkbarkdeveloment on this specie.....I have a such, and it creates corkbark all the time, so I guess I know what it looks like...it must be a something else Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi all, its called Ulmus parvifolia 'Nire', Nire is japanese for elm no more no less.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:06 am

I've heard of it called nire-keyaki. I think that it's is an old Japanese common name for a form of Ulmus parvifolia. It could be "Ulmus parvifolia var. nire".

Ulmus parvifolia 'Nire' sounds good. I agree then.

I wish I could find my Hillier's book but I can't locate it but I'll look it up.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:52 am

Gary Swiech wrote:I've heard of it called nire-keyaki. I think that it's is an old Japanese common name for a form of Ulmus parvifolia. It could be "Ulmus parvifolia var. nire".

Ulmus parvifolia 'Nire' sounds good. I agree then.

I wish I could find my Hillier's book but I can't locate it but I'll look it up.

Hi Gary

I "buy" this name, as the story sound good..... untill someone give me a better option.
I hope you find the book...still curius.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Nire - 5 Ulmus Nire cuttings facing 5th. growingseason Empty Ulmus "Nire"

Post  bonsaisr Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Unfortunately, Hillier does occasionally contain errors.
What you have is cork bark Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia 'Cork Bark.' This is the registered cultivar name. You sometimes see it labeled "corticosa" or "suberosa," but those are invalid synonyms. With any mutation, different specimens may exhibit various expressions of the gene. It is still unmistakably 'Cork Bark.'
Forget "Nire." It just means elm.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Lordy

I dont see any corkbarkdeveloment on this specie.....I have a such, and it creates corkbark all the time, so I guess I know what it looks like...it must be a something else Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Hi Iris

I already gave another person this answer...and I know what I talk about...I know corcbark habits, they grow in wings. There must be a another name. The rough bark on the two first came bacause of the tecnik I used. Look at the other plants please. No cork

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:06 pm

A search on google throws up many references to Ulmus parvifolia 'Nire-keyaki' although there is quite a duplication of the exact same information which makes me think there has been a lot of cutting and pasting going on from one original source. And since that seems to be Wikipedia I am instantly wary.

I am too far out of the loop these days to know who maintains the definitive register of plant names. The Tokyo Code and the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants spring to mind.

What we shouldn't do is just make names up - that is why there was a need for an ongoing classification and list in the first place.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi Fiona

You are right, and it is interesting....The name Parvifolia, is probably the closest we come to the name of my tree. Maybe. I just know corkbark is it not.

Let us see if other suggestions come up.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next