Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

virginia juniper

5 posters

Go down

virginia juniper Empty virginia juniper

Post  peter keane Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:55 pm

Here's a very long-term project for me. I found it while on a hike through some woods in 09. It was growing on top of rocks in full sun. When I pushed on it, the juniper wouldn't budge at all. The base is what motivated me to try and see if I could grow feeder roots close to the trunk and harvest it in a few years. Under the soil close to the trunk, I found some broken rock. I removed the rock and replaced this with a free-draining soil mixture and some sphagnum moss. I also threw in some triple superphosphate to encourage root growth. I went back and watered a few times that year. Then, I forgot about it. Last Sunday, I went back with a friend and some tools for lifting the tree. I wasn't sure if the tree could be lifted safely. I took my time inspecting it to be sure. We had cut all the anchoring roots and lifted the tree in just under two hours. We used saws, branch loppers, root hooks and long pry bars. No shovels were used at all! We went away with the juniper having a thick root mat close to the trunk. The trunk is 12 inches across. The box is 3ft x3ft and 8 in deep.

virginia juniper Dsc_0028
virginia juniper Dsc_0029
virginia juniper Dsc_0030
virginia juniper Dsc_0031
virginia juniper Dsc_0032
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

virginia juniper Empty Re: virginia juniper

Post  JimLewis Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:24 am

Very impressive for a J. virginiana. Good luck with it. I look forward to progression pics.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:57 pm

the third photo evokes an image of an ancient tree with a 5 foot wide trunk. Really nice material.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Hello,
Not bad at all, my imagination is flowing already.
Keep it alive.
Did you cut some green as you cut also some roots, or is this not necesary with this species?
Sunip Wink
virginia juniper Dsc_0032[/quote]

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 am

I did the same with a big one seed juniper in '08. The one seed and the redcedar have similar growth habits and can hybridize where their range overlaps. I dug mine on a rocky bluff in Arizona. I only had two roots smaller than a pencil and no fine feeder roots. I cut all the roots clean and applied rooting powder. It was planted in a good coarse mix in a ten gallon tote. I set up foggers on a timer set to emit every two hours for five minutes. I let that run from March until I saw growth in October. The biggest problem I've found with these and redcedars is their nature to only grow up. Almost all the branches have to be wired. Good luck.

-Preston
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down