Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jabotacaba

4 posters

Go down

jabotacaba Empty jabotacaba

Post  moyogijohn Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:55 pm

I found a little one of these trees,,not even pencil size, 9 inches high.. i liked the little thing so i payed the 12.00 dollars brought it home.. information is needed growth rate,,low temp rate ect.. tell me where to go please !! a google says it flowers and fruits.. thank you much john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

jabotacaba Empty Re: jabotacaba

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:33 am

moyogijohn wrote:I found a little one of these trees,,not even pencil size, 9 inches high.. i liked the little thing so i payed the 12.00 dollars brought it home.. information is needed growth rate,,low temp rate ect.. tell me where to go please !! a google says it flowers and fruits.. thank you much john

Tropical, likes wet, fruit seldom seen on potted trees, the fruit looks like grapes and grows from the trunk and larger branches, very interesting and edible, brittle, be careful with wiring and BENDING. will grow fairly quickly down here, but will not tolerate low temps, for best growth I would treat like Ficus. Have you checked out the BCI species guide? Also for commercial grove information go to IFAS, the University of Florida agricultural extension service site with literatue on most things that grow in Florida.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:39 am

I checked, the BCI species guide does include jabotacaba but the file is probably 20 years old, the IFAS site has a lot more information, but it is directed at in the ground growth.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 am

Thank you Billy,, I was hopeing it might flower and fruit ! well the leaves look nice anyway..treat like a ficus ok...take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:19 am

Did you check out the threads about jaboticaba (note spelling) on this site? There are several.

I've not found bending branches to be much of a problem (at least when branches are small)...but watch the wire, actively growing branches swell and scar quickly. Also, I'm finding the plant to be extremely apically dominant...I have a long bare trunk segment in the middle of the tree and cannot force budding there. Meanwhile, branches at the top are getting much too thick. Probably am going to have to chop and re-grow the top. Others have reported this as well. Otherwise, no problems so far...loves the summer outdoors and continues to grow through the winter under fluorescent lighting. I leave mine outdoors until temps at night start going down to/below 50.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:26 am

Not very brittle, I think this is one of the most pliable species there is, well with small branches. once its past a certain diameter its unbend-able, it has very solid wood
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Thank you Coh and Rig-i,,this is a very small plant...just wanted to try for something different..thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum