Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Bonsai, have a Corylus Avellana on the balcony

3 posters

Go down

New to Bonsai, have a Corylus Avellana on the balcony Empty New to Bonsai, have a Corylus Avellana on the balcony

Post  artemisia777 Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:27 pm

It has lived there for over a year now and the buds are opening, is it still time to repot it? in a nice Bonsai pot? it's skinny and has only one main trunc, one branch and 5-6 buds mostly on the higher part of the main trunc, total height about 25 cm. It survives -10 C so I guess I can keep it there. Should I just wait and let it grow more in regular soil or change to the granulate? ... thansk for advice and suggestions, Arty

Last edited by artemisia777 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : image added)

artemisia777

Back to top Go down

New to Bonsai, have a Corylus Avellana on the balcony Empty Re: New to Bonsai, have a Corylus Avellana on the balcony

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:39 pm

I am not familiar with the species you mention and you climate is a lot different than mine, but a picture would help.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

New to Bonsai, have a Corylus Avellana on the balcony Empty Re: New to Bonsai, have a Corylus Avellana on the balcony

Post  fiona Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Corylus avellana is common hazel - a tree that is native to Europe and it is good for bonsai here. As Billy says, we would be able to help you better of you would post a picture for us. Mention of a skinny trunk always frightens us because one of the main ways of giving the illusion of an old tree in miniature is by having a fattened trunk combined with a short height. But there are some styles that can be done with a thinner trunk and a picture would be very helpful in letting us see if we'd recommend you go for one of those or attempt to fatten the tree up.

Regards

Fiona
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

New to Bonsai, have a Corylus Avellana on the balcony Empty imge - research

Post  artemisia777 Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:24 pm

THank you all for your replies, I've done some reading around, I think my tree is just about a toddles in Hazel time, he's 24 months old more or less and maybe it's too soon to think about what I'll do with it, but how do i take care of if if I wish to think of it as of a future possible bonsai?

how do I get the image in? ...
New to Bonsai, have a Corylus Avellana on the balcony Corylu12

artemisia777

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Based upon your comment about balcony, you may not have a place to put the plant in the ground, which would be the way to develop the trunk faster. You best bet is regular increases in pot sizes. Looking at what you have the pot is big enough for now, maybe too big (a pot that is too large will tend to stay too wet and lead to rotten roots.)
As to you soil, it needs to be free draining. Your soil looks a little heavy and with the larger pot you will need to be very careful with watering. Normally training pots are increased in increments of about 2 inches every 6 to 12 months depending upon growth rate. Those in Europe more familiar with the species can make suggestions on this.
I would leave the plant alone for now and give it as much light as possible. As to fertilizer I would get a good houseplant fertilizer and follow the package directions for how much and how often.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  artemisia777 Fri May 25, 2012 2:05 pm

Billy my corylus just died, I watched it for about 2 weeks and the blooms didn't move... something wrong, touched one and it simply fell off... I touched the main branch/trunk, and it was all dry, what went wrong? I guess I'll never know, Amen

artemisia777

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down