Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tropical bonsai plants

+16
SOUMYA MITRA
Jose O. Rivera
Khaimraj Seepersad
Jaco Kriek
s.k.gidwani
F. Waheedy
yadibrar
redvw5
Budi Sulistyo
Billy M. Rhodes
bonsaisr
Rob Addonizio
Garykk
fiona
Jacek_Rostkowski
gm.it.seacom
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

tropical bonsai plants - Page 3 Empty Re: tropical bonsai plants

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:19 pm

gm.it.seacom,

oh and it is the principal behind it all. If you don't have access to red brick, look for something else.

I get my supplies from the brick factory, they dump the broken brick in an area and a friend helps me just shovel and sift. I don't actually have to break anything. The brick is fired to maturity, so it takes a long time to decay and is sharp.

I use high nitrogen in the dry season to hold the leaf colour, the growth which is constant, is also even and bugs don't like to chew the leaves.

Sub- note, most of my trees have when mature, soft wood, so exposed wood is a mistake.
AND I am not going to spend a lot of time on epoxies, minwax or other.

I studied compost building so I get a rich and slow acting food for trees. Contains all the stuff you listed and it is aged after sifting for one year. Causes no problems. I have to re-pot most of my trees every year, large trees every three years. By then all that is left is powder, but the mix never clogs.
Freely draining soil is the secret of Bonsai / Penjing.

What books do you have access to on Bonsai ?
Khaimraj

As usual written for others who might be reading - okay.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  gm.it.seacom Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks Mr.Khiamraj,
In my soil composition i already have broken bricks (which i use as filter and some are mixed with the soil) and sand.
I also prefer using brokenbricks stacked with lime which were used in building houses earlier in this region.I use this because i have seen that the plant materials i use all grow very well on its own in such old houses.

I dont know whether ficus varieties like acidic or alkaline medium but alkaline works fine for me...
gm.it.seacom
gm.it.seacom

Back to top Go down

Post  gm.it.seacom Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:15 pm

To Mr.Khiamraj,
About bonsai books i think the best book i have access to is Ancient Art of Bonsai by Deborah Koreshoff.

I just want to add that a freely draining soil is not just the secret for bonsai and penjing,but for all sorts of potted plants.
I have experience growing many rare varieties of caudiciform and noncaudiciform succulents,orchids and hence i know about it.
gm.it.seacom
gm.it.seacom

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Most excellent !
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  gm.it.seacom Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Most excellent !
Khaimraj

Which one?the book or my experience Laughing
gm.it.seacom
gm.it.seacom

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:54 pm

As we say on our side - Ah, now that would be telling Smile
mysteriously,
Khaimraj

* Hint - have your plants died under your care and the Koreshoff/Adams/Liesniewicz/Wu Yee Sun [ thanks C.R for the 2nd later copy just in case you are reading, will call,] Yu Hunhua/Liang/Matsudairia/
Penjing Studies/and the Four Seasons - Murata are all in the library - there are a few more - Bonsai Today 1 to 37,International Bonsai [Valavanis ] and a few more/Kamuti and even the somewhat silly Nakamura, and more ...............
Keep reading.

Also - Classical Bonsai of Japan and 1000 years of Chinese paintings and Classical Chinese Literature, all aid in Bonsai / Penjing. Have fun. Smile
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

tropical bonsai plants - Page 3 Empty GREAT COLLECTION OF BOOKS ON BONSAI/PENJING ETC.

Post  SOUMYA MITRA Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:57 am

Dear Mr. Seepersad, we dont know each other but i know gm.it fairly well.
your comments on certain aspect on his pics are in good spirit but it seemed to me ( i could be wrong too) the soil part delivered from a perch which the young gm.it did not enjoy.
Apart from that the great collection of books and manuals etc of yours indicate great apetite for knowledge, similarly great culinart books gives lots of recipies -but it does'nt satisfy my hunger in the belly.
so walk the talk and we are wating to see the result of your TAKE from the formidable bonsai books.
i had to comment on this thresd as i happen to attend ibc since i think from 2001-2 from its earlier forum but never showed any pic so far of my Bonsai hobby. i agree with you that 10-15 years it takes min to make a tree show worthy - unless it is ymadori of high quality.
i would like to see your comment ( tree critique) on the collection that he ( gm.it) shown ,particularly with ref to the Baobabs. Hope your indian linage would forgive me for the intrusion . ALL the best MR. Khaimraj.

SOUMYA MITRA

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:45 pm

SOUMYA MITRA,

I cannot critique any tree unless specifically requested by the owner to do so. Additionally I need to see several examples of a mature tree, which I am unfamiliar with, and as I previously asked of gm.it.seacom, ----------- images of his trees from the front on.

No intrusion Smile , as gm.it.seacom knows, I am only 1/4 Indian and raised in the western world, more as a European.

My critique will probably disappoint you as I work more from the natural shapes of trees, and less from a Chinese or Japanese point of view, though there will be influences. For example - I showed gm.it.seacom a tamarind tree based more on what is seen down here. My memories of the tamarind are of large canopies, that shade and invite relaxation. We do not have tamarinds that bend or lean excessively, just the slight twists that come with age, as well as slight leans.

If we are looking at the well known Ficus, I would be looking for stout or graceful trunks, aerial roots designed to please the eye , and fine branching. It is generally unnatural for a ficus on this side to be leafless at anytime, and we have our own local species. So the work on the domes would be more interesting to me. Domes being the masses of leaves. Then I would be searching for air spaces [ where the birds fly through ].

If you can handle the above, and if you supply the information I would need - images of mature trees - and you request a critique - no problem.

As to soil - I was trying to help g.m.it.seacom. On our side, clay soils or soils from the earth, can within a year or as the tree ages, especially around the trunk - kill or severely weaken a mature tree [ 15 years.] Sifted organic and inorganic materials don't cause this problem with time.
We have a few folk who insist on using earth mixes and the usual comment is, " it was doing so well, and then it died."
This effect of clay/earth soils is very dramatically illustrated by the Sageretia T. which goes yellow very quickly in the leaf, as opposed to the rich deep green of a healthy tree.

I left images of a ficus I did, to show gm.it.seacom, the fine branching that is possible with ficus and at 12 inches [31 cm ] or so. Next year when I defoliate for leaf improvement, I will see if I have any fici [ ficus/s/i Ms.Iris ?] that can further show such fine branching.
Until.
Just Khaimraj ------ where did you guys/gals get this Mr. bit from ?

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  SOUMYA MITRA Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 pm

[quote="Khaimraj Seepersad"]SOUMYA MITRA,

.Just Khaimraj ------ where did you guys/gals get this Mr. bit from ?

/OH ! THE EUROPEAN LEGACY- i guess.Ever been to India?

SOUMYA MITRA

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:40 pm

Hello SOUMYA MITRA,

Apologies no, haven't been to India, probably one day.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:54 pm

gm.it.seacom wrote: a) ... ... There is no doubt that taiwanese bonsais have by quality surpassed all the bonsais in the world(leave japanese ones)
... ... ... ...
b) My soil contains so much of food only for the fact that i want fast results and good volumes in terms of size.
... ....
Objection....
a) Kind notice : Never use "there is no doubt" unless you are absolutely sure!
And this is not the case of course! I mean your expression that the taiwanese bonsais being of superior quality over all the others (the japanese excluded)
b) If you browse here in IBC through the topics on feeding you will see that plants will absorb what they need no matter how much food you provide them.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  gm.it.seacom Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Firstly,I think that all bonsai artistes will agree that the taiwanese bonsai(aspac) have opened our eyes in respect to quality and volumes.Anyone who doesnt agree may give his views for the disagreement.

Secondly,People have no idea how much food a plant can take in.
Apart from being a bonsai artiste i am a rare succulent plant grower,both caudiciform and non caudiciform and so i know fairly well how much food the plants take in here considering all climatic conditions etc.If someone doesnt agree they can defenitely come and see here.I can always demonstrate with pics if needed.
gm.it.seacom
gm.it.seacom

Back to top Go down

Post  gm.it.seacom Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:50 pm

tropical bonsai plants - Page 3 Guava_10
Guava Bonsai in training for 5 years......please enjoy!!!
gm.it.seacom
gm.it.seacom

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 pm

gm.it.seacom

can you put a blank sheet or something behind the plant. It is hard to see your efforts, there is always some back ground distraction.

Choose a colour that allows the trunk to be seen and the leaves.

How tall ?

There is a another guava type [ family of guava ] with finer leaves and more branchlets, do you have anything like that ?
I'll see if I can find the name for you and maybe an image.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:22 pm

gm.it.seacom,

if you want folk to look at your trees and appreciate your efforts, you need to start photographing them as a professional.

Also it is easier to work on the future design and changes.

Here is an example.
Khaimraj

Celtis [ L ?] American Hackberry [ I use a refrigerator to continue the life cycle of some trees - simulate winter.] 39 cm in height . Clip and Grow [ Alphabetical order.] This specie is excellent for tiny leaves and twiggy growth. Easy from seed or a cut root. Yellow leaves for autumn.

tropical bonsai plants - Page 3 Celtis10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  gm.it.seacom Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:14 am

The guava is known as psidium sativum.The fruits of this plant is edible.
The guava with finer branches and smaller leaves is also available but it is very prone to die back.
gm.it.seacom
gm.it.seacom

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:55 am

gm.it.seacom,

here are two myrtle types [ guava family ] finer branching, and more branchlets, small leaves, no dieback.
Gives you a choice of growing fine specimens under 61 cm [ 2 feet ]

[1] Eugenia
[2] Myrcia

You should have a Herbarium at the University. They would have all the records on trees and shrubs.

Here is an example of either [1] or [2] I am not sure which one.
about 46 cm [ 18 inches ] not mine, but I have one in a half barrel growing for a larger trunk.

tropical bonsai plants - Page 3 Guava_11
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:05 pm

gm.it.seacom wrote:Firstly,I think that all bonsai artistes will agree that the taiwanese bonsai(aspac) have opened our eyes in respect to quality and volumes.Anyone who doesnt agree may give his views for the disagreement.

Secondly,People have no idea how much food a plant can take in.
Apart from being a bonsai artiste i am a rare succulent plant grower,both caudiciform and non caudiciform and so i know fairly well how much food the plants take in here considering all climatic conditions etc.If someone doesnt agree they can defenitely come and see here.I can always demonstrate with pics if needed.

Hi guys,
I hope you wont mind me butting in on your "private conversation" (just kidding)
I beg to disagree with the idea that the taiwanese artists have superseded other regions bonsai, in terms of design and volume...IMHO, that is based on the personal taste of the viewer. I (personally) prefered the Indonesian design, then the european, then the japanese and somewhere in the bottom of my personal list is the taiwanese design. the reason would take lot of pages if i enumerate it all. so its just a matter of personal taste. probably you like taiwanese design and others dont.

When it comes to food intake of plant...oh yeah, people have some sort of ideas how plants take the volume of their needed nutrients...we have here in the philippines a national agency that made studies on plants including plants food intake, its located just outside metro manila...lots of asian and even Indian agriculture students study over there...I saw a couple of them last summer I went to that agency, in one of my research.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:31 am

Hi Guys I have been following your thread and decided to weigh in. I am a commercial nurseryman, not bonsai thats my hobby. I grow alpine and perennial plants and a few trees and shrubs. To me to use any garden soil in a pot plant is not a good idea. Potted plants need air circulation around the roots and ground soil becomes too compacted. For my bonsai I wouldn't use any components smaller than 1mm and the bulk of my mix is made up of components around the 2mm-3mm mark. There are a number of reasons for this. This is the most important one. In order for a bonsai to develop really good ramification in the crown it also needs good root ramification, the root system and the top of the tree are really a mirror of each other. By using a very coarse gritty potting mix and plenty of fertilizer you can encourage the kind of fibrous root growth that is a prerequisite for a fine twiggy canopy. Any mix which I use for potting bonsai has been through a 1mm sieve to remove all the fines.
Regards from Craig Wilson

craigw

Back to top Go down

Post  gm.it.seacom Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:28 am

Thank You Craigw for the information.you are very right and i have the same views.Thanks.

Thank You Mr.Jun for sharing your views,but i personally feel that you can please demonstrate on your views by providing pics of your work or documents supporting your view.if we donot explain our views then we donot learn.
This forum is for begineers like me to learn more about this artform.let it take pages but i am ready to learn from elders like you.
Thank you Mr.Khiamraj for the details of the guava plant..i will defenitely start looking for this species here.
gm.it.seacom
gm.it.seacom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:10 pm

gm.

Hi. again,
for photos/ pics reference. please see some of my post here...there are I think about 30 individual trees, and a couple of hundred captured in some group of trees of my own design that posted for the past 2 months alone...not the typical taiwanese ( like the ficus with wide canopy and very stiff large branch) design..if there is such, not japanese and nor european... honestly my friend I am not sure yet what design name to call or style I am creating, all I know is that I am proudly developing trees/penjing not copied from any other known style and I am hoping that someday I can find something or some design that I as a filifino can associate with and truly called it "philippine style".

again this is my personal point of view my friend. for people like you and I living in different continent and region, we must develop our own design that we can call our own, a good example of this is the recently posted african show...which I commented to be dominated by the nicely styled trees very distinguished to african environment...this my dear friend I think should be the way regional design must evolved into.then we will have a very diverse designs. be proud of your trees as Influenced by Indias rich culture and natural beauty of your continent...and let our good and talented friends from Taiwan and Europe or the west be proud of their own design coz they have all done well.
I wish you well...and I am proud of you taking a solid stand on your belief by which you think is right, though your view is different from mine.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ronnyadam Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:17 am

The finest line of elegant bonsai trees from around the world who have been selected with care and style bonsai artists.First professional when you send pictures of your trees, you can clean around the trunk and nebari. Get a soapy solution of water and a brush and give a good cleaning.

ronnyadam

Back to top Go down

Post  SOUMYA MITRA Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:39 am

[quote="ronnyadam"]
"The finest line of elegant bonsai trees from around the world who have been selected with care and style bonsai artists.First professional when you send pictures of your trees,"

Sorry for my english language understanding- but i do not get any actionable message or meaning from this remark.

SOUMYA MITRA

Back to top Go down

Post  gm.it.seacom Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:50 am

Hope mr.Ronnyodam could expalain his views!!his message surely doesnt explain anything...
Sorry if i couldnt understand!!!
gm.it.seacom
gm.it.seacom

Back to top Go down

tropical bonsai plants - Page 3 Empty Tropical Plants

Post  bonsaisr Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:55 am

What he is trying to say is that when you post a picture of a tree, make sure it is groomed & cleaned up so it will look professional. Take a stiff brush & clean the bark on the trunk. Trim the branches & twigs. Make sure there are no weeds on the soil.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next