VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Sebastijan Sandev on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Here is a video of a repotting job of my huge carpinus orientalis...sorry, I don't know how to embed a you tube video directly on the forum...if someone can help me, please do it

http://sandevbonsai.blogspot.com/2012/04/video-repotting-big-100kg-carpinus.html

here, you can also find a whole history of this tree during last two-three years

Sebastijan Sandev
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  alonsou on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Here it is for you Sebastijan

next time, do you see the icon next to the "F" from flash? Just click there and paste the link from your video, that should do the trick!.

BTW, I love that tree, it's HUGE, I've been using the technique to dig up Yamadori with the winch or power puller since I saw you using it on some other previous videos. Great idea.



Last edited by alonsou on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

alonsou
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Rob Kempinski on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Cool video. Glad the beam was sturdy enough to support the tree.
Also like how you integrate power tools into the work. Don't think I've every seen a tree screwed directly to the pot like that - creative.
The wood is obviously hard, and chain saw teeth dull quickly on root cutting when they hit soil particles. Have you tried a reciprocating saw with coarse teeth for trimming big roots?




http://toolselect.com/search/category/Reciprocating-Saws?gclid=CNi1sP66ma8CFS-htgodrB6Lyw

Rob Kempinski
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Sebastijan Sandev on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:03 pm

alonsou wrote:Here it is for you Sebastijan

next time, do you see the icon next to the "F" from flash? Just click there and paste the link from your video, that should do the trick!.

BTW, I love that tree, it's HUGE, I've been using the technique to dig up Yamadori with the winch or power puller since I saw you using it on some other previous videos. Great idea.

Thanks alonsou, yess...winch is of great help...I cannot overstress the importance of a winch...or "12" as we call it in collecting procedures. It shortens collection time by half I would say
Thanks again

Sebastijan Sandev
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Sebastijan Sandev on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:Cool video. Glad the beam was sturdy enough to support the tree.
Also like how you integrate power tools into the work. Don't think I've every seen a tree screwed directly to the pot like that - creative.
The wood is obviously hard, and chain saw teeth dull quickly on root cutting when they hit soil particles. Have you tried a reciprocating saw with coarse teeth for trimming big roots?




http://toolselect.com/search/category/Reciprocating-Saws?gclid=CNi1sP66ma8CFS-htgodrB6Lyw
Rob,
Screwing the tree in a wooden edges of a box is absolutely the best technic of fixing the tree in a training pot. As you know, it is of utmost importance that the tree is completely immobile, completely immobile and fixed in a first pot to take root...if the tree rocks and shakes especialyl while working on it or changing positions in the garden...the roots stop growing and tree deteriorate.
I have tryed that ill practice for many times and was many times sorry...always with the same result. From that experience came the absolute law...tree has to be fixed like in concrete.
Now, when you see me screw the tree for the box, after that you can lift the whole thing...the tree and the box together by just holding two opposite branches of the tree...it is so firm
Of course, you cannot screw a tree for a definite bonsai pot, you fix it with a wire, but...up to that time, the tree already has a decent root system and formed a root ball, so it is much more stable when you use just a copper wire to hold it in a bonsai pot after repotting.
Regarding my chain saw...oh it is dull, I have to sharpen the chain, and of course, it dulls quickly in touch with an even traces of soil or substrate.
I also have two reciprocating saws, which we call "foxtail" saw, but...what to say...I was to lazy to go and get it from the shed. Yess, shame on me Embarassed

Sebastijan Sandev
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  R3mco on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Awesome! Very Happy

A question though... why not put it in a bonsai pot directly instead of repotting it to another growbox?

R3mco
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  alonsou on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Sebastijan Sandev wrote:
Thanks alonsou, yess...winch is of great help...I cannot overstress the importance of a winch...or "12" as we call it in collecting procedures. It shortens collection time by half I would say
Thanks again

Agreed Sebastijan, On the image below, you can see an old Ume I dug up about 2 weeks ago from the backyard of my parents house, (the guy on the image its my dad) and of course, the winch made the work super fast and hassle free.


alonsou
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Sebastijan Sandev on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:05 pm

R3mco wrote:Awesome! Very Happy

A question though... why not put it in a bonsai pot directly instead of repotting it to another growbox?
R3mco,
I did not have bonsai pot big enough. My biggest bonsai pot was 80x55cm, and that one was too small, cause the trunk of the tree...not the nebari!!!..., the trunk is cca 50cm wide, so it would be necessary to cut the surface roots too much and that would destroy the tree. This wooden box measures 70x70cm. So, that dimension 55 was bothering me while thinking of a bonsai pot. Other reason is ...I can fix the tree better in a wooden container that in bonsai pot and I was not sure what will I find below soil, did the tree produce enough fine roots...
So, I prepared a square wooden box...that has one more advantage...it is square...means it doesn't have front side like bonsai pot, and I can fit the tree regardless of which side is where...
Next repotting will be much easier because now I know in detail what to expect...no hurry for bonsai pot. For the time tree is bonsai pot ready, it will already have a branch architecture and ramification...crown creating will be in advanced stages...for two years time, I will get an apropriate pot

Sebastijan Sandev
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Poink88 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 am

Sebastijan Sandev wrote:...for two years time, I will get an apropriate pot
And as Marcus told me...that should give you enough time to get a 2nd mortgage to buy that size pot!!! LOL

Awesome video as always. Thanks for sharing! ThumbsUp

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Jean Massumi on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 am

Hey Sebastijan
First of all,congratulations for this huge tree..Even with that crazy machine we should have healthy back/hips...
question:how long this plant has been growing in the old box?Lots of fine roots..And what kind of substrate did you use?
Regards from Brazil..

Jean Massumi
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Todd Ellis on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:45 am

Hi Sebastijan,
Great video and very interesting use of the winch. The roots over rock is awesome. the tree weighs as much as I do; puts things into perspective!
Best,
Todd

Todd Ellis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  R3mco on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Ah yes that makes sense!

I guess the rocks take the bulk of the weight? right?

R3mco
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Sebastijan Sandev on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Jean Massumi wrote:Hey Sebastijan
First of all,congratulations for this huge tree..Even with that crazy machine we should have healthy back/hips...
question:how long this plant has been growing in the old box?Lots of fine roots..And what kind of substrate did you use?
Regards from Brazil..
Jean,
Tree has been growing in old box for two complete seasons, two years.
As a substrate I use floreopor (kind of a expanded clay), together with big pumice, some tree bark and a small portion of peat ( 10%)

Sebastijan Sandev
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Poink88 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:00 pm

When you sharpened your chainsaw blade, did you adjust & lower the rake? Sometimes, after a few sharpening, the blade get lower and it hardly contacts the wood anymore. Just something to consider checking.

From safety standpoint, I was also scared for the person holding the tree (your wife?). She is clear but still too close for comfort in case of kick back or worse someone accidentally bumping to her causing a fall forward (I cringe at this scary and ugly thought). I would probably have her sit or squat than lean forward that way. Sorry, just though I would point that out. Stay safe!

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO: Repotting of a huge, 100kg Carpinus

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:04 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum