Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone ever used Miracid?

5 posters

Go down

Has anyone ever used Miracid? Empty Has anyone ever used Miracid?

Post  Guest Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:03 pm

Has anyone ever used Miracid on Satsuki Azaleas?

If so, what were the results, I am curious.

Last edited by shimsuki on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever used Miracid? Empty Re: Has anyone ever used Miracid?

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:08 pm

That's what it is for. Works fine.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:20 pm

I've never used on it bonsai azaleas but it works brilliantly on my garden azaleas. It's also had a name change over here in t'UK and is now called Miracle-Gro Azalea, Camellia and Rhododendron, so as Jim states, the name says it all. I prefer it to normal Miracle Gro because it is not so heavy on the Nitrogen so I get more flowers as opposed to greenery. But we're also a fairly acid soil area so that helps too.

For the record, my bonsai azaleas flower quite profusely on Maxi Crop seaweed extract, so I tend to stick to what I know works with them.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:03 pm

Yes I use Mir-Acid on azalea, gardenia, juniper, and pine. It works fine.

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  mr treevolution Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:40 pm

I too use miracid / miracle grow on my satsukis. Although i tend to use it quite weakly and alternate feeds with maxicrop (fab stuff). Results are good. stronger and longer flowering with less massive leafy growth ( obscures flowers).

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Mr Treevolution wrote:I too use miracid / miracle grow on my satsukis. Although i tend to use it quite weakly and alternate feeds with maxicrop (fab stuff). Results are good. stronger and longer flowering with less massive leafy growth ( obscures flowers).

Exactly what I do up in Scotland - must be a climate thing. I was told however Miracid as a name no longer exists and it's this Miracle-Gro Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron stuff - same thing, new name I thought. Do you still have access to yer actual Miracid? To be honest, last growing season at he time when I couldn't get Miracid and the new stuff hadn't hit the shelves, I just used the normal Miracle-Gro and I would say it was every bit as effective.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:21 pm

I suspect that Miracle-Gro is just as effective. The fert companies (and pesticides companies) often come out with different products just to sell two bottles of essentially the same stuff to the same people.

Over here, one company sells a Houseplant fertilizer, and a Flowering Plant fertilizer, and a Shrub fertilizer. Read the labels and they are exactly the same thing!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mr treevolution Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:14 am

There are some subtle differences between Miracle grow for the ericacious plants and the standard miracle grow, just compare the labels and N-P-K's. As far as i am aware, having been in the commecial growing industry for ages, the old Miracid and the new miracle version are the same make up, with the new one not being a repackaged version.
All that aside, It works well and is a good feed for conifers too, even splash acers with it later on in season to pep the bud setting for the following year, similar to a low or zero nitrogen feed.

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever used Miracid? Empty Miracid

Post  bonsaisr Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:04 am

I haven't bought any lately, but I think they changed the name back again due to the confusion. I don't have any bonsai azaleas, but I periodically use Miracid on acid-loving plants, especially if they appear chlorotic.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever used Miracid? Empty Has Anyone Used Miracid?

Post  bonsaisr Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:26 am

To clarify, aside from the acidifying effect, the two fertilizers have different analyses. Standard Miracle-Gro is 24-8-16, and Miracid is 30-10-10. You would have to read the package to see if they both contain trace elements. I didn't see it on their Web page. There is also a Miracle-Gro Rose Food, with a higher Phosphorus content.
A caution: Miracid is very very hygroscopic. Once you open the package, close it as tight as possible and put it in a baggie. Exposed to the air, especially in a plant room, it will absorb water and make a godawful blue mess.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:55 am

Apparently, they changed the formula for standard Miracle-Gro. My box, which I bought a year or so ago, says 20-20-20, and yes, it contains trace elements.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:22 pm

I just looked at the MG site.

Miracle Gro Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food has a 24-8-16 ratio, scarcely balanced (It has micronutrients).

Miracle Gro Rose Plant Food is 18-24-16 (plus micro) which is closer to a balanced food.

Miracle Gro's plant food advertised for "Flowers" is (again) 24-8-16 (plus micro), so all things being equal buy the cheaper of the app purpose vs flowers boxes.

Their "Orchid" mix is 30-10-10 (plus micro).

They have others, but they are liquid, and I'm danged if I'm gonna pay for water.

If you want to check them out: http://www.scotts.com/smg/brand/miraclegro/brandLanding.jsp

=================

Then there is Peter's . . . You apparently no longer can buy just plain Peter's fertilizers, I guess. They've gone to "Jack's Classic Plant Foods" http://www.jacksclassic.com/

The Jack's Classic "All Purpose" food is still 20-20-20 Here is their:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Total Nitrogen (N)....................................... 20%
2.1% Nitrate Nitrogen
17.9% Urea Nitrogen
Available Phosphate (P2O5)....................... 20%
Soluble Potash (K2O)................................. 20%
Boron (B).................................................... 0.02%
Copper (Cu)................................................ 0.05%
0.05% Chelated Copper (Cu)
Iron (Fe)...................................................... 0.10%
0.10% Chelated Iron (Fe)
Manganese (Mn)......................................... 0.05%
0.05% Chelated Manganese (Mn)
Molybdenum (Mo)....................................... 0.0009%
Zinc (Zn)...................................................... 0.05%
0.05% Chelated Zinc (Zn)

Their "Acid Special" is 17-6-6 plus all the above micronutrients.

Problem for me is that I haven't seen any Jack's Special for sale around here. Some place called Piedmont Farm and Nursery Supply in Spartanburg, SC is the closest -- 25 miles.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:52 am

They also have a "Bloom-Booster at 15-30-15.
There is no law against combining half a dose of All Purpose Food with half a dose of Rose Food, which will give you an analysis (I think) of 21-16-16, not bad for most bonsai. Sometimes I mix high nitrogen foods with 0-10-10, available at the hydroponic shop.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down