Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Betula pendula raft - a short history

4 posters

Go down

Betula pendula raft - a short history Empty Betula pendula raft - a short history

Post  Max Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:29 pm

2 years of improvement.
Enjoy.

The moment when I bought it this photo was essential to understand the structure.
Betula pendula raft - a short history File

When I got it in 2010 it looked like this.

2011. Still looks ugly but has to for becoming a good one.

Repotting in spring 2012

Restyle in spring 2012. Many branches had to be cut for better branching especially in the background.

The wiring is so fine that I will have to remove it in just a few weeks.

Best wishes
ME
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Betula pendula raft - a short history Empty Re: Betula pendula raft - a short history

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:16 pm

I know it's just words, but I think I'd classify this one as a "clump" rather than a raft. Whatever, it is going to be a good one.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Betula pendula raft - a short history Empty Re: Betula pendula raft - a short history

Post  Max Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:02 pm

JimLewis wrote:I know it's just words, but I think I'd classify this one as a "clump" rather than a raft. Whatever, it is going to be a good one.

Thanks Jim,
yes, it's more a clump than a raft..
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Max

The delicacy of the weeping branch work is lost when the leaves emerge, (photo from 2011) The weeping looks absolutely wonderful out of leaf though. perhaps a reduction of a few of the thinner trunks might help open up the image a bit? Just thoughts.

Do you expect good leaf reduction with this species?
Best
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:50 pm

The delicacy of the weeping branch work is lost when the leaves emerge, (photo from 2011) The weeping looks absolutely wonderful out of leaf though. perhaps a reduction of a few of the thinner trunks might help open up the image a bit? Just thoughts.

That's not uncommon. It may well be ample reason for developing trees solely for their winter silhouette.

My windswept trident raft has the same "problem."

Betula pendula raft - a short history 11-11_19

Betula pendula raft - a short history Delea010

It's always nice to have trees available for winter display, and I'd recommend that route to Max. Very nice!!!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:24 pm

drgonzo wrote:Max

Do you expect good leaf reduction with this species?
Best
-Jay

Jay
each Bonsai is made for a its season. This one is for spring. Nothing more nothing less.
So I will not cut one of the trunks because it will never look authentic in summer.
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Betula pendula raft - a short history Empty hi Max

Post  tap pi lu Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:17 am

Max Engels wrote:2 years of improvement.
Enjoy.

The moment when I bought it this photo was essential to understand the structure.

When I got it in 2010 it looked like this.

2011. Still looks ugly but has to for becoming a good one.

Repotting in spring 2012

Restyle in spring 2012. Many branches had to be cut for better branching especially in the background.

The wiring is so fine that I will have to remove it in just a few weeks.

Best wishes
ME
your tree was very nice.
you need to think: understanding the actual leaf development to apply shape stem.
I think that with the development of natural leaves, trees do not fit the style of your drooping branches
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down