Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  Poink88 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:26 am

This is my new biggest tree at more than 12" wide base. It took me 5 hours to dig and another 2 to pot yesterday. There will be a lot of carving in the future of this tree. Should I remove the middle branch where I had a chicken feet (trident fork) on the main trunk?

This is another Craigslist find that I decided to pass up on 2 weeks ago. But Joey told me on Saturday that it is still available so I called the owner and got permission to collect it.







Thank you.

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  Todd Ellis on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 am

Nice "hunk-o-tree"!!! I hope she buds well for you.
Todd

Todd Ellis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  JMcCoy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:37 am

Wow Dario! Is there room for any soil in there?? That's one massive base. The wood is really hard, and takes well to carving, but needs to be protected with hardener or gets punky in a few years. I can see it with uro and holes and with a completely hollow base, also making it a lot lighter by the way! If we only had some trained termites that could be used. Smile
I think more people in our area should consider ligustrums for bonsai. They're so plentiful and way underused. Maybe if people knew they were closely related to Olives, they'd have a better idea on how to style/carve them.
I'd leave the "chicken foot" for now to see if the lifeline takes one direction or another. You can always cut later.
Joey

JMcCoy
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  marcus watts on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:09 am

hi Dario,
haha, thats a lump and a half, you do realise you'll need a second mortgage to buy pots in a few years Very Happy - I'd be buying a big kiln and doing some serious practice while all the branches grow. Very Happy Very Happy

what finished design did you see in the material when you dug it up?

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  Poink88 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:08 pm

marcus watts wrote:hi Dario,
haha, thats a lump and a half, you do realise you'll need a second mortgage to buy pots in a few years Very Happy - I'd be buying a big kiln and doing some serious practice while all the branches grow. Very Happy Very Happy

what finished design did you see in the material when you dug it up?

cheers Marcus
Marcus,

I was just telling my wife the cost of pot yesterday and I resigned that this will most likely stay in a Mica pot. No

Design wise, I really don't have one yet. I just knew/felt the other branches were in conflict so I chopped them down hard. Honestly, I see 3 possible fronts. Not obvious because the base is buried and also the reason why that chicken feet middle branch is still there.

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  Poink88 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:Nice "hunk-o-tree"!!! I hope she buds well for you.
Todd
Thanks Todd. I hope so too.

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  Poink88 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:18 pm

JMcCoy wrote:Wow Dario! Is there room for any soil in there?? That's one massive base. The wood is really hard, and takes well to carving, but needs to be protected with hardener or gets punky in a few years. I can see it with uro and holes and with a completely hollow base, also making it a lot lighter by the way! If we only had some trained termites that could be used. Smile
I think more people in our area should consider ligustrums for bonsai. They're so plentiful and way underused. Maybe if people knew they were closely related to Olives, they'd have a better idea on how to style/carve them.
I'd leave the "chicken foot" for now to see if the lifeline takes one direction or another. You can always cut later.
Joey
Joey,
Hardly any room but I managed to raise the wrap to add more. Thanks for the bussing tray/tub tip but I am not a Sams member, I might look at the concrete mixing tub at Home Depot and transfer this but it is very heavy as it is. I had to chop the original root ball down to a third just to be able to lift and load it in my car. When it got home I chopped the remaining down by half or more. I am still hurting today.

I know what you mean about termites. How I wish we can put them there and they stay. LOL I actually had to treat this because there are ants inside the holes.

Does ligustrum/privet leaves reduce well?

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  JMcCoy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Does ligustrum/privet leaves reduce well?

Not very much in this hybridized wax-leaf variety. Once you get the shape you want, you can reduce them by maybe 1/3. The wildlings that pop up in the woods that the city is rightfully trying to eradicate can reduce down to half-inch or less, but rarely have as interesting of a trunk.

I've used those concrete mixing tubs, but if you use them, you have to find a place and leave it, they're very hard to move. Part of the problem (besides the huge weight of the thing) is the tubs are more flexible and the soil shifts. I like bussing tubs because they're stiff and have good handles, plus they're a little smaller so easier to maneuver. I have an extra one I can give you if you'd like.

JMcCoy
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  Poink88 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:41 pm

JMcCoy wrote:I like bussing tubs because they're stiff and have good handles, plus they're a little smaller so easier to maneuver. I have an extra one I can give you if you'd like.
Joey,

Makes sense and I am interested, I would trade you a couple more of the 9" carbide recip blade for it! Smile Please let me know when we can meet close to downtown. Thanks!

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  Poink88 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:32 am

Went to Ace Mart (restaurant supply store) after work today and found some of the bussing tub (tote box). It is 21-1/4" x 15-3/4" x 7" and only costs $6.95 a piece so I bought a couple to try.
http://www.acemart.com/prod6836.html

I re-potted this tree and it looks much better now. Smile

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  jersanct on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:15 am

Poink88 wrote:I was just telling my wife the cost of pot yesterday

And there was your mistake.

jersanct
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  Poink88 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:23 pm

jersanct wrote:
Poink88 wrote:I was just telling my wife the cost of pot yesterday

And there was your mistake.
LOL. It was not believe it or not. She did not say anything, I am the one who resigned being realistic with my finances. She is very supportive and actually tells me to get everything I need. The most recent is to buy a battery operated reciprocating saw and she want me to get the best as well...not a cheap one. She actually started thinking about pottery businesses/classes where you can make the pots and they fire the pots for you.

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Collected Ligustrum Japanese Privet

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:01 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum