Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fat cascade privet

3 posters

Go down

Fat cascade privet Empty Fat cascade privet

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:59 pm

I have another inch to grow onto the tail. But this is the closest I come to a so-called "sumo"-type tree. From a cutting 3 years ago.

Fat cascade privet 3-12_f11
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Fat cascade privet Empty a new pot

Post  abcd Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:14 pm

In the future
[img]Fat cascade privet Small_10[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Fat cascade privet Empty Re: Fat cascade privet

Post  Justin_ Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:26 pm

What variety of privet is this, with those tiny leaves?

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Ligustrum sinensis. Chinese privet.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin_ Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Is this a particularly small-leaved variety, are they just young leaves, or have you managed to get them reduced to this size? I'm familiar with Ligustrum sinensis as one of the mass-produced Chinese export bonsai, but I only see it with leaves at least twice as big as yours.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:24 pm

These Ligustrum sinensis are exotic invasive plants dug from around my farms -- here and back in N. Florida over the last 10-20 years. Normal leaf size on a full sized plant in the "wild" is about the size of an American dime (10-cent piece) or penny -- just about 2 cm, plus or minus. They get smaller in pots.

These are still young. The leaves in my recent post here -- "YALP" -- are more "normal" for one in a small pot. https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9567-yalp . That is a much smaller "tree" than this one.

I can't imagine anyone "importing" this nasty weed tree/shrub. In the Eastern US (Mid Atlantic and south, at least) these are the most common plants around wooded edges in many. many areas, and crowd out the native dogwoods and redbuds, etc. that would "normally" occupy those edge habitats.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down