Pussy willow as bonsai?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pussy willow as bonsai?

Post  mimstrel on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Can pussy willow be grown as bonsai? I stopped in at a local garden center this morning and noticed that they had a line of buckets out front with pussy willow cuttings. The first four buckets were the tall, straight canes... and then there were two buckets of branched, twisty cuttings that (on a precursory glance) looked like they had potential.

But I'll be honest, I don't know anything about the actual tree except that it roots easily, likes water, and has fuzzy little "buds" (catkins, maybe?) in spring.

mimstrel

Back to top Go down

Pussy Willow

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:23 pm

We just had a thread on this subject. Many willows are suitable for bonsai, mainly the dwarf arctic and alpine species. But you have to remember they are not long-lived. There is a cultivar of weeping willow, 'Rokkakudo,' that is very good for bonsai, but not under my conditions in Central NY. You can try the regular pussy willow in a clump style. You can take home the twisted one, Salix udensis 'Sekka,' root it, & grow it in your yard, but I don't think it is suitable for bonsai. There is an article in the current issue of International Bonsai on how to grow pussy willow bonsai. The best one is Salix gracilistylis, or its popular cultivar 'Melanostachys,' the black pussy willow. Look for it in garden centers.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Re: Pussy willow as bonsai?

Post  coh on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:40 pm

coh

Back to top Go down

Re: Pussy willow as bonsai?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top