Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo

3 posters

Go down

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Empty Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo

Post  JPhillips Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:57 am

These are a couple of trees that I collected about a week ago in Fairbury, Nebraska. Due to a recent warm up they already have stared to leaf out.
The first is a gooseberry ( a Ribes but I'm unsure of the species).

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Img_1813
Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Img_1812
Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Img_1819

The second is an Eastern Wahoo or Euonymous atropurpurae.

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Img_1814
Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Img_1815
Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Img_1816
Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Img_1817
Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Img_1818

I plan on letting them grow for at least another year or two before beginning any styling but any advice for the future shaping would be appreciated as well as tips on caring for them from anyone who might happen to have some experience with these species.

P.S. This is my first post on this forum but i hope to be a frequent presence! Thanks, Jake Phillips
JPhillips
JPhillips

Back to top Go down

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Empty Re: Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo

Post  Poink88 Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:00 am

JPhillips wrote:
Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Img_1819
Jake, I think I will pass this up. affraid Shocked

and.... WELCOME!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Empty Re: Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo

Post  JPhillips Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:11 am

Yeah, that was the most brutal branch. The newer growth and older growth are much less thorny so my plan was to eventually chop it back to where those new shoots are in the first picture and try to train the new shoots where I need them before they become too painful to handle.
JPhillips
JPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  JPhillips Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:39 am

Both of these trees are already pushing out flower buds! Should I clip these off to redirect energy towards shoot and root growth or just let it be for the season.
The euonymous is pushing new buds all over so I assume that means that its recovering well from transplanting. I'm still uneasy about uncovering the nebari as a good deal of the fibrous roots are still above it. I could use a little help with the styling though. All of the main branches emanating from the trunk are arranged in a sort of fan shape. I was thinking I would style it as an informal broom but don't know how to go about those long straight branches.
Ideas, comments, or concerns? Hit me with it!
JPhillips
JPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:18 pm

I think the ribes is speciosum, if it has red flowers in late winter early spring.
Craigw

craigw

Back to top Go down

Post  JPhillips Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:32 pm

I believe speciosum is a native to California.
I found this in Nebraska so I'm pretty sure that its Ribes missouriensis http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/savanna/plants/ms_gooseberry.htm
JPhillips
JPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  JPhillips Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:41 am

Here is the uncovered nebari on the Euonymous, starting with what I plan to be the front and then rotating a quarter turn all the way around.

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Dsc06512

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Dsc06513

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Dsc06514

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Dsc06515

JPhillips
JPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  JPhillips Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:44 am

What will most likely be the front:

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Dsc06517

and the back:
Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Dsc06518
JPhillips
JPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  JPhillips Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:49 am

And here is the gooseberry after the Max Miller of the Nebraska Bonsai Society helped me with some trimming.

Collected Gooseberry and Eastern Wahoo Dsc06519

Any comments, criticism, or advice would (as always) be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake Phillips
JPhillips
JPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down