Raw Satsuki Material

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Raw Satsuki Material

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:42 pm

These are two satsuki azaleas I picked up at a local garden center.

Step 1: Since they were being grown as shrubs for people's yards, they were cleaned up. No main branch structure was disturbed, just 1 year old and younger growth was taken off.

Step 2: I am going to put these into pre-bonsai pots next spring. They will be planted into kanuma. I will only let 5 or so buds flower on each tree so I can see what they look like. I will take a few pics and pull them off the next day. Satsukis should not flower the year they are repotted.

Step 3: I am going to set these aside to thicken the trunks for a couple of years before any major styling is done. A few branches may be wired after flowering.

Step 4: Will probably be styled as helmets.

Pics are before and after.

Back to top Go down

Re: Raw Satsuki Material

Post  JimLewis on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:40 pm

I'll be interested in seeing the flowers.

I dunno how hardy satsuki are in St. Louis, but if local nurseries are selling them they must do OK over winter in the ground at least. So, that is where I would plant this one for a few years. Enjoy the flowers while this is a shrub (though you can do a lot of training while they're growing). Satsuki are almost no-growth plants in small pots, and this one is in serious need of trunk girth that only in-ground growing can provide.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:09 pm

JimLewis wrote:Satsuki are almost no-growth plants in small pots,

and this one is in serious need of trunk girth that only in-ground growing can provide.

I am going to put them into growing pots.

I agree they are in need of trunk girth, but they both have about an inch and a half girth at the base. The pictures of the two trees are looking at the base from a narrow point of view.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum