Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower

3 posters

Go down

Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower Empty Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower

Post  Andre Beaurain Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:31 am

Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower Andre_12With the winter rain coming, the desert plants starts blooming...what a joy..
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower Empty Stenoglottis fimbriata

Post  Andre Beaurain Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:08 pm

and the forest Orchids are starting aswell..Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower Stenog10
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower Empty Re: Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:29 pm

nice plants, does carrion flower stink much or long?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower Empty Re: Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower

Post  Andre Beaurain Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:19 am

Yes Bill it smells when the sun hits them, they get pollinated by flies.
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:19 am

Hello Andre – thanks for sharing the image of the Orbea, it brought back fond memories of cultivating many Stapeliads in the deserts of Arizona. Now that I live under the redwood forests of coastal California that is not possible, it’s too wet and cool, but we do have a local native plant that is similarly beautiful and similarly fragranced in preference for flies. It is Scoliopus bigelovii, the fetid adders tongue. It grows abundantly in my native garden and is flowering now – lovely, but… when the sun warms the blooms the fragrance is, well, not so nice. I am considering cultivating it as an accent plant for its nice foliage and beautiful blooms – with the added benefit that it will keep other bonsai enthusiasts at a bit of a distance!

Thank you again for sharing!
David B.
Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower Scolio15
Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower Scolio16

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 am

Wow
David that is amazing! And the foliage is exeptional, I would have potted it long ago! Is it a bulbous or rizomatic plant, it cant be an annual?

But the thing I envy you the most for, is sitting under the Redwoods.. I just went to show my brother our secret forest near Heidelberg in the Cape, The "Groot Vader" (Great Father) ( a title inhereted by the owner of the Forest.) planted Redwoods there in 1976 after the almost complete destruction of the Forest for Yellowood. Nobody know of t
his place... The Redwoods are now 36 years old.Accent plant, Orbea variegata, Carrion flower Dre_en10
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Wow Andre - it looks like home! Thank you!

I have visited the Cape several times and yet never knew there was a redwood forest planted there, but with the amazing variety of plants in your region I have always been focused on more local flora. You live in one of the most amazing places on earth!

Yes, Scoliopus is a rhizomatous perennial. It is in the Lily family. I have intended to pot some up, but just haven’t gotten around to it…

Thanks again!
David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down