Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My foreign stones

+15
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Precarious
riversoul
Young Doan
dick benbow
vlado
Milan Kulhavy
trantanhung_nt
Andre Beaurain
Михаил
stonener
Chris Cochrane
peterbrod
sunip
ogie
19 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

My foreign stones - Page 3 Empty Re: My foreign stones

Post  Chris Cochrane Fri May 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi Yvonne... Your stone's contour works well as a Daruma figure. You might give it fuller meaning in your choice of seating. Most standing images of Daruma suggest either the "One-shoe Daruma" (usually holding a shoe) or "Daruma Crossing the Yangtse River Reed or Rush Leaf)." In both depictions, though especially common in "crossing the river" depictions, his robe sweeps-up as with your stone. He also is often shown barefooted in both. Your illustration of a carved Daruma could be either (or neither), which is mildly disappointing.

Some depictions on the Onmarkproductions (MarkS's) page linked HERE.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi Chris

This is interesting reading you have send Smile I will have to return more times to read.
Right now, do I think the female daruma is interesting, as the stone actuly is quit feminine.

I did not know terrible much about the daruma...I thought he was standing on a rock, as every wooden statue I saw, looked like that.
It is the same with the statue, on my posted photo, it has to be the river.
I did not really look close at paintings, and I compleetey missed the reed. So, this is important information for me. Many thanks

Would you have a suggestion on, how a seat could look?...how high?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Sat May 26, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Yvonne... You have YOUR style. I have MY style. By just considering the figure as more specific than a generic Daruma, our communication deepens. Your thought of a female figure extends beyond where I went, and it feels authentic. That is great... and deepens my appreciation.

My preference in-style for stones and rootwood & their display draws on image & text. Some images are emotively complete without much of a story-- e.g., it is easy to fall head-over-heels for simply a natural texture. Other images resonate with stories shared by others, and that is commonly required for figure stones (for me, not necessarily for you).

You could clarify the story of this stone Daruma by (at least) either poetic-naming, mounting or an accessory. For me, a visual cue is usually more appreciated because more subtle. Some poetic naming is subtle, but too often it is not.

You have so many directions to go. Ambiguity would not be my choice, but it could be your choice, especially if you you can manage it to not appear incomplete-through-ignorance-or-sloth.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Chris

In this case do I think we have the same oppinion.....I have two ideas now, but both have to be very precise and elegant ...othervise will they only harm the stone...I need to think a little longer before I try. If the one I decide to make does not work, will I have to exhibit the stone without, and diffrent.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Михаил Sat May 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi Yvonne! Select a combination of the two stones. When the second is better than the first.
Михаил
Михаил

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Maxim

I have an idea for a simple stand with the story to it...I think I can carve it Smile ...I will soon show it on IBC, and you guys can be the judge of, if it works or not, or if it should be carved again i a slightly better version...Or just do something else.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:28 pm

For Andre, and those of you, who think I may only have quet stones..... Smile

My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0620
This 34 cm. long Gobistone did I find on a stonemarket in the south of China...It has been shown in a another tread, and some of you may remember.....
It was suggested it was a muhuaishi, petrified wood, and I said it was not....Later have i found out, it is said you can scratch a window with petrified wood...I am quit sure this stone will go brake before the window is being scratched.
I would love to have a muhuaishi....but this is not it.

My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0621
This 26 cm long stone, did I find in the spanish mountains, it has a lovely uneven triangle flat, slightly curved buttom.

I was about to carve a daiza for the stone earlier this year, when a increased inflammation in my right shoulder took me out of everything I do....My bussines is not existing at the moment, and everything else, the little I do theese days is done with a lame left arm, and a strained left arm, who had to learn almost everything the right hand usualy do....Today I was told, I can have the operation on the 6th. of august...cant wait.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Now that is spectacular! I love the doban?
How do you know that it is not petrified wood. It depends what mineral was the host for the fossil, that will determine the moth scale hardiness. You do get petrified wood that can be very soft. This sampel can be scratch with the Nail and is very very soft, and if you bump this against a window it will brittle up in a million pieces, but its still petrified wood.

My foreign stones - Page 3 Fossil10

Your stone from italy is also very nice, I will show my similar ones in due course. Get that arm fixed so that you can start carving, it definately needs a seat.

love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi Andre

Yes, I cant wait to have the arm fixed, I want to make daizas....
You say a petrified wood can be soft, now what can I say....I keep learning....I China was told it was a fengli, but I have looked at many fengli and I have not seen one similar...also is it VERY big for a Gobi....So..maybe I have to cave in, and take it as a pertified wood, as I was told on IBC..it also looks like wood, if I shall be honest.

Lets call it petrified wood Very Happy, I love it....OK Chris?

The second stone was from spain Cool

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:53 am

I have been playing arround with the Daruma stone, to find a way, to display the stone...
In my home is it no longer a problem, as the stone stands on a little piese of pale blue leather, to show the water in the river...works for now....
If in display, in a exhibition, could it be like this...in the background is distant blue mountains showing the the other side of the river. The stand made with blue kimonosilk is showing the river. Daruma does not have a visible reed.
The frame arround the stand is a bit too heavy, and I am looking for an another frame...
Please let me know what you think of this idea.

My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0711

In my search for more answers, did I come arround to Kwan Guan Yin. To me had it looked like this goddist always had a right hand raised, and was therefor out of the question for this stone....But she is also shown like the stone....
In Japan is the chinese name Kannon.....and Kannon is shown in diffrent ways....one of them is called Ryuzu Kannon, with this name is she shown riding on a dragon on the water, often in front of a waterfall.
I made this display....Please also let me know what you think of this display

My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0712

One thing important in theese two displays, is to keep the stone low, for not to worry the viewer, who may spend energy on thinking if the stone may fall and brake.

I am using this awesome edo stand for the stone...please also enjoy the old silk...look like quet moovements in the water.

My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0713
My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0716

The stone as it is displayed in my home
My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0715

Sorry for the schroll hanging like it does, it is thanks to my camera.

Kind regards Yvonne

Last edited by Yvonne Graubaek on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : poor spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 am

I prefer Daruma walking 'on' the water, and not be seperated from it by the stand.....which is also exquisite! ( did you carve it?)
The silk immitates the water very well., and feels 'soft'

The leather at home is to hard and not rounded off. Doesnt suite the stone which is perfect and flowy.

The black frame around the edge doesnt feel to overpowering to me, The stone is so black that I feel it balances perfectly, I do think you need an accent just to bring in the green of nature, and take away the starkness.

Thank you for showing it.

Love and light

Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

My foreign stones - Page 3 Empty ... about Daruma .

Post  trantanhung_nt Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Hello Yvonne ,
Daruma , be idol respected of mine .
Your Stone - Work is very beautiful , you was conduccive to it DAIZA (?) is also beautiful . However , I like DAIZA it will has thickness a little more .
Invite you look at one Stone it described DARUMA and CAVE following ...
_ Daruma ... nine years in a CAVE :
My foreign stones - Page 3 79_sany4276
Hope you like that . ( This stone is a CUTTING - STONE )
Thank you ,
Regards ,
Hưng - Trần .

Last edited by trantanhung_nt on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:49 pm

Andre Beaurain wrote:I prefer Daruma walking 'on' the water, and not be seperated from it by the stand.....which is also exquisite! ( did you carve it?)
The silk immitates the water very well., and feels 'soft'

The leather at home is to hard and not rounded off. Doesnt suite the stone which is perfect and flowy.

The black frame around the edge doesnt feel to overpowering to me, The stone is so black that I feel it balances perfectly, I do think you need an accent just to bring in the green of nature, and take away the starkness.

Thank you for showing it.

Love and light

Hi Andre

The Daruma display is the most quiet, and I understand why you prefer this...a small iris in the background could give a little green to the display
I am happy you like the silk as water, but I still want a softer profiled frame for the stand. Sice and hight is nice as it is.

I can not say I carved the stand...I am not that good Sad the stand is japenase edo periode, and is at least 150 years old.

I could cut the leather into a lotusshape...how about that Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:22 am

Hi Trantanhung

I like your Daruma in the cave...
I tried many hights for the daiza to my standing stone, the higher the daiza, the more worried did the stone actuly look.
I know it is normal to carve a high daiza for a Kannon or a Daruma....but theese staues are carved in one piece, and the lowest part of the stand is the water....in my display is the blue stand the water, and it make no sense to show the water two times.
As I did not want to cover any part of the stone in a daiza....ballance and shape is perfect, is this low edostand with the dragon my best choise.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  trantanhung_nt Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Hello Yvonne ,
Thank you your explanation ... help me understand in many your ways display .
I am very like a way display Photo No 1 ( Daruma ... on water )
Regards ,
Hưng - Trần .

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  Михаил Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:28 am

Hello Yvonne. Really like your solution with the podium. Reminiscent of the very old from the collection of Richard Rosenblum. Can be a bit of age, darken. with respect, Michael!
Михаил
Михаил

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi Mickael

Many thanks for your kind reply...The fabric is a bright from the flashlight....But darker age will not harm at all...better.
I will google Richard Rosenblum...sounds interesting.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:43 pm

Dear Yvonne

I wanted to mention, Daruma stone looks better with the Waterfall scroll behind; there is a lot of movement in your suiseki, and I feel with the solid mountain behind, it doesnt reflect to movement of the stone.

With the watefall scroll one can feel the rush of the water causing his robes to bullow and blow. Very powerfull.

I think Japanese blood grass would also be a wonderull accent, it will pick up the red and pink in the scroll.

But hey, I'm here to learn the art, and actually only know my own taste.

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:30 am

Hi Andre

When I posted the two displays, did I tell there was a story to them. They are very traditionel, and can not be altered.
If I use the waterfall, will the Kannon need the small dragonstand. I expect she is on a lake, I dont know why she is riding a dragon...Maybe someone can tell us this story....And if I use the Daruma, who is crossing the water...Yangtze River on a small reed, can I decide to use distant mountains...or leave the scroll out, in both cases.
I dont think I would use a plant in any cases...The plant will soon demand to much attention, as the stone is not very big. Also does the two scenes not need a plant, as they are about water.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi everyone

Just finished this daiza for my little Kamogawaishi.....One of the stones I found in the Kamo-river in Kyoto this january.
The stone has already a lot of indoor yoseki...I had it in my pocket on a trip to Germany Smile .
The stone stands 5 cm tall, and is 12 cm long.

My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0723
front

My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0725
back

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi Yvonne,
Nice and beautiful work. Greetings its been a while
Warm regards my friend
Alex

Last edited by ogie on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispelled)
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi Ogie...Thanks.

It was nice to make a diaza again...and the stone is a small treassure.

See you arround Smile . Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Михаил Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Михаил
Михаил

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Михаил wrote:Hello Yvonne. I think you'll be interested in. http://bbs.gss.org.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=146969&extra=page%3D1&page=4

OH, yes...the cannon is insane good....many thanks.
Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi Friends

The Setagawastone presented on page 1, have its daiza finished now.
It has not been easy to come arround, but it has been great fun all the way....Hope you like my result.

front
My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0911
The center frontleg caught the blitz...there is not a problem

back
My foreign stones - Page 3 Img_0912

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next