Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium

+2
marcus watts
tap pi lu
6 posters

Go down

ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium Empty ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium

Post  tap pi lu Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:48 am

good morning. I love bonsai long despite the difficult economic conditions and living environment. I watched the video clip of the artist in the world to create bonsai from the category of work. Especially Taxodium. I want to duplicate by branches of large trees in nature, I have tried several times without success, although sprout cuttings have roots, but not out, then die off? is it because I do not have a root stimulant. Please guide me how to make the most efficient. thank
Here is a picture of the tree:
ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium Taxodi11
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium Empty Re: ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium

Post  marcus watts Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:10 am

hi,

i do not know of any body growing yew type trees from foliage cuttings (but that does not mean nobody is of course) - it is the seed that is used to propogate most trees from and it is wild collected treees that make up a lot of the mature bonsai material. If they do grow from cuttings i would try many experiments - summer green cuttings, dormant winter cuttings with a slightly woody base - the hormone powder or gel would be helpfull, a humidity cover may improve survival - just try all the methods you can think of. Or look for some small wild ones, prune them shorter where they grow while you plan the digging.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium Empty Re: ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium

Post  JimLewis Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Taxodium can be grown from hardwood cuttings, but they will need to be small -- matchstick size to pencil size (MAXIMUM!). If you have no rooting hormone, boil some willow bark and leaves for 20 minutes, and use that liquid after it cools. Or, dissolve 4-5 aspirin in a quart of water. Not ideal, but they can help.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:25 pm

Isn't Taxodium Cypress?

I believe the name itself means "similar to yew" but does this also extend to how we would propagate the tree? Would it be similar to how we would clone Yew? I have no Idea.... for me to even see a cypress would be a 6 hr drive... Very Happy
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Yes Jay
Looks like Bald Cypress to me Taxodium Ditshicum. The leaves look to dainty for dawn red wood. They can be struck from cuttings in the best of conditions. With no hormone it would be difficult for sure. They can be air layered but it is also difficult.
Now collecting them is much easier than all of the above. When we collect them it is not much more than a hard root cutting. They can recover in a very organic and very wet soil mix, some even re-root them in small plastic kids swimming pools.

Here is a my home clubs web page with a article on how we collect them here in South Louisiana.
http://www.gnobs.org/articles/collecting_cypress_large/index.shtml

Hope this helps
Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Isn't Taxodium Cypress?

Well, you know what they say about common names. This is the BALD "cypress," Taxodium distichum, once placed in a separate Family, Taxodiaceae. They prefer swamps and standing water.

Cypress are in Cupressus as in C. semipervirtens, Italian cypress. in the Family Cupressaceae, which grow in dry upland habitats.

Both Cupressus and Taxodium have now been lumped into Cupressaceae, the bald cypress as a member of the Subfamily Taxodioideae. Sequoia also have been lumped in there as another Subfamily, and there are a few more obscure groups there now, too. (Take no bets as to whether they'll be split back up someday.)

But the point here is that as bonsai they are handled in diametrically opposite ways.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:31 am

JimLewis wrote:Taxodium can be grown from hardwood cuttings, but they will need to be small -- matchstick size to pencil size (MAXIMUM!). If you have no rooting hormone, boil some willow bark and leaves for 20 minutes, and use that liquid after it cools. Or, dissolve 4-5 aspirin in a quart of water. Not ideal, but they can help.

Hmmm thats not been my experience. These are pencil sized to about 1 1/2 and 2 1/2" diameter and they root almost 100% with no rooting hormone.
ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium D3e19e3e

ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium 84c2f40b

ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium 3f8134e8
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

ask about the species through cloning Especially Taxodium Empty Hi All

Post  tap pi lu Sun May 20, 2012 7:33 am

real hard. I did 4 years continuous experiments with plants.
but without success.
the shoots I plug into land just developing buds in about 4-5 months and then die.no sign of the roots
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down