Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?)

+5
Kakejiku
Ryan B
Bob Pressler
Russell Coker
LSBonsai
9 posters

Go down

Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?) Empty Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?)

Post  LSBonsai Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:41 pm

I have the opportunity to buy a few pots from the daughter of a deceased bonsai artist. She doesn't know much about them, so I am left with trying to decode the signatures.

I went through Ryan's signature database 2x trying to find this one. That database has helped me many times, but this time I can't seem to find it. The fact that it is a terrible picture doesn't help Sad

Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?) 49c3P
Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?) EkWLD

This next one I think is European. It looks like it says "Touchette" or maybe "Gouchette"? I thought this one would be easy to ID but web searches have been fruitless. It is also possible that it was made in Quebec?

Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?) X6Hui
Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?) GDgzh

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LSBonsai

Back to top Go down

Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?) Empty Re: Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?)

Post  Russell Coker Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 am

LSBonsai wrote: The fact that it is a terrible picture doesn't help Sad

You're right! Can you get a better one? I'm giving myself a headache.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?) Empty Re: Stumped trying to ID these pots. One Japanese (?), one European (?)

Post  Bob Pressler Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 am

Do you have a link for that database?
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 am

Bob, it's at the bottom of every Ryan B post. (or you can get to it from there)
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 am

Hey Bob,
My database is located here.
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/chop-and-signature-resource/
There's still a bunch of Chops that I haven't uploaded yet, finding the time is becoming tough, as spring has sprung here and I'm working on some articles for Peter Krebs website(which is awesome, BTW)
The first pot is Chinese, looks to be Yixing. The small stamp on the bottom is the artist stamp, while the big stamp is the region or Kiln.
I can't give you any information about the second, but I can point you to someone who can. If it was made in Canada, Eldon Leis is the man you want for information. He was one of the pioneers of Bonsai(and bonsai pottery) in the great white North. Seek him out and you may find some more info.
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  LSBonsai Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 am

Ryan B wrote:
Hey Bob,
My database is located here.
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/chop-and-signature-resource/
There's still a bunch of Chops that I haven't uploaded yet, finding the time is becoming tough, as spring has sprung here and I'm working on some articles for Peter Krebs website(which is awesome, BTW)
The first pot is Chinese, looks to be Yixing. The small stamp on the bottom is the artist stamp, while the big stamp is the region or Kiln.
I can't give you any information about the second, but I can point you to someone who can. If it was made in Canada, Eldon Leis is the man you want for information. He was one of the pioneers of Bonsai(and bonsai pottery) in the great white North. Seek him out and you may find some more info.
Ryan

Thanks Ryan you're the man. I never would have been able to id that pot as yixing.

Eldon is a good friend but has been out of the bonsai scene for a few years now. His trees and pots are now scattered around Ontario. He is hard to reach in his retirement years... As it should be Smile

Cheers

LSBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:19 am

I hear you! Good for him. I have a couple of his pots. 1 is going into a blog post this evening on western potters, its a cool wonky thing. 2 of the Leis pots I have were sold to me as Dimigs...which was weird, as they say "Eldon A. Leis" on the underside...even wierder, I bought a pot that was supposed to be a Leis from the same guy....it's a Dimig!

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:01 am

I am no expert on pots or chops like you others but the small stamp that was referenced as the name looks to read 小芬. Previously it was posted as the Chinese name Yixing. Japanese reading could be Shoufun. Same shou as in Shouhin bonsai. The characters in the larger chop are totally illegible due to the picture....
Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Ryan B wrote: The first pot is Chinese, looks to be Yixing. The small stamp on the bottom is the artist stamp, while the big stamp is the region or Kiln.

Ryan, I thought the same thing for the same reason!

When you do your western potters, are you going to do Don Gould? I had him make a pot for me in '89. When Ben Oki saw it he asked if it was an old pot I brought home from Japan.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi Russ,
Yep, I'll be showing a couple of pots from the late Don Gould that I have in my collection. Also Peter Krebs, Jim Jenigan, Mike Hagedorn, Sara Rayner, Nick Lenz, Michelle Dougherty, Tom Dimig, Jepson, and Max Braverman. While I'm partial to Japanese and antique Chinese pots, I do collect Western potters as well, and figured I'd show a few!
Ryan

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Has anyone found out about Touchette pots? I have one that was done for the ABS
Anymore help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Ok. So out of all the people that lurk here, I get no response? I can't believe this.
It also says on the bottom ABS/SBM 88 and also CONGRES
Shocked

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Bugeye wrote:Ok. So out of all the people that lurk here, I get no response? I can't believe this.
It also says on the bottom ABS/SBM 88 and also CONGRES
Shocked

This thread was 2 years old, and the poster apparently solved his question. Why don't you ask your question in a new thread, with photos of the pot you have a question about? You will be much more likely to get responses with your question in its own thread. Photos really help.

The ABS/SBM 88 Congress stamp seems to indicate that the pot was made for the 1988 American Bonsai Society Congress, which was hosted by SBM - the hosting bonsai society, but I don't know the name that refers to or who made  pots for the ABS 1988 Congress. Somebody here might know.

Photos really help.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Bugeye wrote:Ok. So out of all the people that lurk here, I get no response? I can't believe this.  Shocked

another thing of note is that if people dont know, they dont know...

do you want everyone who doesnt know, to post saying "i dont know" ?

if so, i will start:

"i dont know."

Razz

oh... waitaminit !
i see what the problem is... you're from cleveland !!!

just joking
say hey to the wagner surf club for me...
they hang out at edgewater park, but they dont back into their parking spaces there Wink Embarassed Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:22 pm

I don't know anything about the potter and agree with putting this in its own thread.
ABS= American bonsai society
SBM= Société de bonsaï et de Montréal (Maybe?)
1988=1988 or the year my sister was born
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down