Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jaqueline hillier elm and airlayering elms

5 posters

Go down

jaqueline hillier elm and airlayering elms Empty jaqueline hillier elm and airlayering elms

Post  bucknbonsai Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Does anyone have any luck with jaqueline hillier elm in bonsai? I have problems with the leaves kind of matting together and turning brown. Ive been to a nursery with a 15foot landscape specimen and even that one had the problem. is it because the leaves sort of overlap and they get fungal or bug infestations as a result? Im trying to downsize my collection, so would you recommend I focus on my sejus instead?
By the way Ive found a 4" thick lacebark elm with good movement that escaped its pot at a local nursery, I believe its in the ground for good and even if I did dig it, im sure it has those circling the pot fat roots etc.. Whats the chances of airlayering this species? (was thinking airlayering may be a way of collecting it thanks
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

jaqueline hillier elm and airlayering elms Empty Re: jaqueline hillier elm and airlayering elms

Post  Bob Pressler Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Haven't used the J.Heller as bonsai so can't comment on that. Every elm I've ever air layered has taken and grown enough roots to be separated that fall. I'd say go for it if you can.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

jaqueline hillier elm and airlayering elms Empty Re: jaqueline hillier elm and airlayering elms

Post  drgonzo Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Buck-

As Bob mentions elms layer with ease, they're quick to grow or re-grow roots in general. I haven't seen any issues with my Hillier and this year its going in the ground to bulk up. I do keep it "open" for air circulation as indeed they do get congested.

Elm-on brother!
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:53 pm

I've wondered Jay, can you do an air layer of a tree with a straight trunk, at an angle so your new root mass gives the air layered tree some minimal movement? I've been thinking of trying it but have never seen it done or posted about. Seems like it'd work just fine.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Fore wrote:I've wondered Jay, can you do an air layer of a tree with a straight trunk, at an angle so your new root mass gives the air layered tree some minimal movement? I've been thinking of trying it but have never seen it done or posted about. Seems like it'd work just fine.

Absolutely! Theres no need to be limited to doing a perpendicular top cut at all. Check out Graham Potters video on layering as he mentions this very thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CREGA3jxGJE
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:33 pm

I thought so, Thanks Jay! Funny, I had totally missed that the first time I saw it. Love Grahams videos.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

jaqueline hillier elm and airlayering elms Empty jh elm

Post  john5555leonard Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:55 am

[img]jaqueline hillier elm and airlayering elms Bonsai11[/img] hi, this is a j h elm i did 12 yrs ago, i always found them pretty easy , with no major problems, but they are prone to insect attack, but a good systemic insecticide will sort it out, the problem you have with the leaves sticking together is only insect attack, nothing to worry about. when the new leaves come out, you will notice they have a curious habit of 1 shoot always growing upwards but constant pruning sorts this. this tree was one i found in a display bed at a nursery and was 6 meters high and was cut back and lifted in a few hours. so why not go to the nursery where you have seen the 15 ft one and try to buy it. good luck. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down