Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MY LARGEST CASUARINA

+16
marcus watts
john5555leonard
shannon
hungbonsai
priya uthama
theBalance
cosmos
Poink88
Andrei Darusenkov
Ebbtide
reg-i
Sam Ogranaja
anttal63
Orion
bucknbonsai
Robert Steven
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

MY LARGEST CASUARINA - Page 2 Empty Re: MY LARGEST CASUARINA

Post  Robert Steven Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks Hung.

Shannon, yes, it's equisetifolia. Good luck,...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

MY LARGEST CASUARINA - Page 2 Empty casaurina

Post  john5555leonard Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:11 am

hi robert if casaurina are sensitive to root pruning is it a problem with the field grown ones when they are first lifted and put into a pot, do they lose many ? . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:14 am

John,Casuarina is not that sensitive when as a material, but becomes more sensitive the more it closes to a finished bonsai...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:46 am

Robert Steven wrote:John,Casuarina is not that sensitive when as a material, but becomes more sensitive the more it closes to a finished bonsai...

hi Robert
Do you think this is because the bonsai techniques used on them are making the trees weak ? ie - the very hard foliage pruning that forms the 'pads' is completely unnatural to the true growth the tree wants to make.

Over the past two or three years i have observed several former 'show standard' trees of various species that are now weak, poor and with branches that have died. I think these trees were kept too neat and over pruned every year, rather than being allowed to grow free and strong. It is almost like the tree needs rest years to help survive the showing years maybe.

Amazing trees growing there - the fact there are 1000's of large material trees surprised me - is the demand that large there or do they export lots?

Thanks as usual,

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:57 am

Hi Marcus,

Despite all bonsai need sometimes "to rest", let them grow in certain period instead of keep them hard prun, I don't believe this is the case with Casuarina. I think it's more due to certain physiological reason on their fine roots system of which, honestly I don't know why. As as long as we don't disturb too much on the roots during repotting, the are OK.

Casuarina has big demand in Indonesia, and they are also exporting to Malaysia..not only for bonsai, but also as garden decorative plants.
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am

Hi Robert
When I take the large cuttings do I leave some of the 'leaves' or do I defoliate?

Thanks again.
Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi Marcus, totally defoliate it. Good luck...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:52 pm

hi robert, i've got a casuarina materials collected from upland they have a simple bended trunks, i've got it bare root, what advice can you give for this plants to survive.

Randy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:52 am

Randy wrote:hi robert, i've got a casuarina materials collected from upland they have a simple bended trunks, i've got it bare root, what advice can you give for this plants to survive.

Randy,
Hi!
I hope you won't mind me answering your question.
bare rooting a casuarina will lessen its chance of survival. the best season to dig casuarina in our country is in the months of April and early May.
Placed the newly planted yamadori in a shaded area, covered with plastic and never move the tree until they are stable.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:36 am

that's a beauty, robert

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:39 pm

jun wrote:
Randy wrote:hi robert, i've got a casuarina materials collected from upland they have a simple bended trunks, i've got it bare root, what advice can you give for this plants to survive.

Randy,
Hi!
bare rooting a casuarina will lessen its chance of survival. the best season to dig casuarina in our country is in the months of April and early May.
Placed the newly planted yamadori in a shaded area, covered with plastic and never move the tree until they are stable.

regards,
jun Smile

/hi jun, no worries I do mind your answer thanks very much for this input any way last week i've got 6 materials collected near lake danao in ormoc city the only thing is they have vey simple bended trunks and roots are exposed maybe due to competition in sunlight they tend to grow very straight and tall. i've applied hormex bought from ace hrdware in cebu. these are my very first agoho materials what ive got is mostly ficus im still looking for a good hunting grounds in my province. hope to meet you personally to have a view of your collections and to collect some advise also..regards..

Randy

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 am

Hi Randy, I think Jun has answered to your question.
Here is one from my large Casuarina grouping preparing for the coming http://www.internationalbonsaibiennale.com/.

BTW, for those who has not registered, the deadline is approaching, 30th September. Thi will be an important break through in bonsai art....the most awaited collosal bonsai event ever done.

MY LARGEST CASUARINA - Page 2 Img_0610
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:33 am

Hi Robert. Just awesome. Is it a raft style or a group of trees? Thanks for sharing.
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks Cosmos, it's a grouping. It's much better to see in real with the perspective.
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  cjloong Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:44 am

jun wrote:

Randy,
Hi!

regards,
jun Smile
Hi, hope you don't mind me asking, why is April and May the best months? Is it because they are going to rain soon? How are the weather in Phillipines?

cjloong

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:00 am

cjloong wrote:
jun wrote:

Randy,
Hi!

regards,
jun Smile
Hi, hope you don't mind me asking, why is April and May the best months? Is it because they are going to rain soon? How are the weather in Phillipines?

Yes you are right! and we got the same weather season as well. The tree will recover faster during the growth period (rainy season). Our summer is very hot and would dehydrate trees specially root bare trees. Hunting in rainy season is not good too as you will disrupt the growth momentum of the tree. specially after cutting the roots.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  INDAN Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:24 am

Robert Steven wrote:
You simply select the roots which you want them to grow thick, then direct them into the pipes, fill the pipes with soil; then let them grow into the grown through the pipes...

Very interesting solution to the roots!
thank you!
INDAN
INDAN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2