Xanthoceras sorbifolium (Yellowhorn)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Xanthoceras sorbifolium (Yellowhorn)

Post  Lost2301 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:52 am

I have found a really neat Xanthoceras sorbifolium (Yellowhorn) that I thought would make a good Bonsai. I have searched all over the internet and cannot find any examples of it being used as a Bonsai. Here are a couple of links about the species:

Yellowhorn
Yellowhorn I

Attached are some photo's of it at the nursery. I think it should be a good tree in time, but I could be wrong?

The leaves can be anywhere from 5-12" and so can the flowers. The leaves on mine are 5" long very small, so are the flower spikes. I remember Walter Pall saying start with something bigger then an 1" trunk. So I found this tree in a local nursey in a 52" pot and went home to research it. They had 2 of them and 1 with a good trunk. My first thought was would it back bud, because it would have to be chopped. I waited unitl spring see what happened over the winter. The nursery left them sitting out on the lot the whole winter. Both trees leafed out and bloomed and one of them was back budding all up and down the trunks. The tree came home on a flatbed trailer and it was moved to the back yardl. The tree had been planted in a pot full of compost so it came out ok. The tree movers put it where I wanted it. I could not move the tree, so I built a wooden pot around it right where it was sitting. It is now in a 24' x25"x24" wooden pot, similar to how you would do a root over rock pot. I insulated the tree wih 4 bales of straw for the winter. In the spring the tree leafed out and was blooming. It was also back budding in different spots on the trunk/branches. It survived -15 degrees over the winter just fine.

I let if grow all summer and I am now starting to think about reducing the tree and then follow that up with root ball reduction the next year.

Any thoughts on what the ultimate size it should be. The trunk is about 4" wide above the nebari and is probably 5' tall. I am planning on reducing it down over a couple of years so as not to stress it out to much.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject since it is kind of new for a Bonsai?

Thanks,

Mike

Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Re: Xanthoceras sorbifolium (Yellowhorn)

Post  JimLewis on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:48 pm

I'm not familiar with the species, but two features mentioned in the info you supplied -- pinnately compound leaves, and stiff twigs and stems -- would make me think carefully about its suitability for bonsai. Neither is enough to foreclose the idea entirely, but compound leaves often are difficult to incorporate int a realistic bonsai unless the leaflets are very small -- which these are not. And, stiff twigs indicate there will be some difficulty in shaping with wire the tree.

That said, the bark looks interesting.

If you decide to try, please keep us posted.

Maybe some of our Chinese members can give you some advice -- or examples.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:05 am

Jim, Thanks for the reply. Another potential problem with this tree might be with its roots. The one web site mentions it has touchy roots. The leaves/flowers are really small when you see them in person. Much smaller then you would expect. There not very wide. I am going to try to slowly work on it. I am not in any real big hurry and will take my time with it. I cut off most of the dead wood last spring on the upper branches. I left a couple of larger dead branches on the trunk for now.

I will provide photo's as I go. Its hard to say how it will turn out?

Mike

Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum