BonsaiMirai Video

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BonsaiMirai Video

Post  BrianG on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:04 am

I thought I would post this video for those who might not use youtube. What a awe inspiring nursery Ryan has and is creating. His skills are undeniable, man what and incredible artist. Ryan your one bad ass dude, keep on rockin it buddy! I can't wait to for the day I may get to visit Bonsai Miriai in person.


BrianG
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Poink88 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 am

Awesome. I can only dream going there, taking a class, and coming home with one of those wonderful trees. Smile

Thanks for sharing.

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Mitch Thomas on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:31 am

Thanks Brian
That was awesome man, if I ever hit the lotto........ Hahaha

Mitch

Mitch Thomas
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  drgonzo on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:58 am

I enjoyed this video as well, it's certainly a very professional promotional featurette of Ryan and what he's trying to build out there in that woodland setting.

I have MAJOR respect for any younger artists coming up in the world of Bonsai who are trying to actually make a full time living off a very specialized industry at a time when our overall economy is in rough shape. Ryan Neil, Erik Wigert, and Bjorn Bjorvala are some of the folks who will be pioneering the next century of Bonsai in America.

-Jay

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Rob Kempinski on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:55 am

WOW!!!

Ryan is a breath of fresh air. Can't wait to visit.

Rob Kempinski
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  stavros on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:11 am

Ryan, along with other US bonsai artists of his generation trained in Japan, are working hard to take US bonsai to a higher level. Suitable, high end raw material is available and the bonsai culture in the US is ready to take this next step due to the hard work of the previous generations of bonsai lovers and artists.

Inspiring video!

stavros
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  jrodriguez on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks for posting Brian! Very informative.

On another note, I think it takes some serious cojones to call yourself the best yamadori collector in the world, taking into account some of the impressive European, Asian and even larinamerican trees I have seen here.

Warm regards,

Jose Luis


Last edited by jrodriguez on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

jrodriguez
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Jan Culek on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Yes! It is soooo big motivation!!!

Jan Culek
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Guest on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:24 pm

jrodriguez wrote:

On another note, I think it takes some seiois conjones to call yourself the BEST yamadori collector in the world, taking into account some of the impressive European, Asian and even larinamerican trees I have seen here.

Warm regards,

Jose Luis

...That I agree, probably the best in their region.



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Rob Kempinski on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:33 pm

jun wrote:
jrodriguez wrote:

On another note, I think it takes some seiois conjones to call yourself the BEST yamadori collector in the world, taking into account some of the impressive European, Asian and even larinamerican trees I have seen here.

Warm regards,

Jose Luis

...That I agree, probably the best in their region.


To be fair and accurate at 3:15 Randy Knight says he is "probably the best collector in the nation." Ryan later says around 4:20 "Randy Knight is the best collector of yamadori in the world." The feedback from people that have seen Randy's trees tends to vouch for this.


Rob Kempinski
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Poink88 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Still, it is better to let the people judge and come to that conclusion. It sounds a bit tacky (or conceited?) to claim it otherwise JMHO. All that said, he is indeed very good though.

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  jrodriguez on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:
jun wrote:
jrodriguez wrote:

On another note, I think it takes some seiois conjones to call yourself the BEST yamadori collector in the world, taking into account some of the impressive European, Asian and even larinamerican trees I have seen here.

Warm regards,

Jose Luis

...That I agree, probably the best in their region.


To be fair and accurate at 3:15 Randy Knight says he is "probably the best collector in the nation." Ryan later says around 4:20 "Randy Knight is the best collector of yamadori in the world." The feedback from people that have seen Randy's trees tends to vouch for this.


Come on Rob.... You have to agree that regarding yourself as one of the best is pretty ballsy.

Also, I guess that those who have seen his trees have also seen those in Indonesia, Italy, Spain, Croatia, the Philippines and beyond......even so, he'd have to have collected the best trees in those regions to make that statement accurate.

Warm regards,

Jose Luis

jrodriguez
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  carlos on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:24 pm

drgonzo wrote:I enjoyed this video as well, it's certainly a very professional promotional featurette of Ryan and what he's trying to build out there in that woodland setting.

I have MAJOR respect for any younger artists coming up in the world of Bonsai who are trying to actually make a full time living off a very specialized industry at a time when our overall economy is in rough shape. Ryan Neil, Erik Wigert, and Bjorn Bjorvala are some of the folks who will be pioneering the next century of Bonsai in America.

-Jay

I really don't think Erik Wigert fits in the same category as Ryan and Bjorn. Maybe you should mention Boon or Michael Hagendorn, but definitely not Erik Wigert.

carlos
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Mitch Thomas on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Jose
I think the thing to remember is this is a promotional utube movie. The main purpose is to PROMOTE the business. Which in this world economy is a very hard thing to do. Not to mention in the limited market of a bonsai business. All or most of us on this fourm have the cushion of either full time employment or a retirement as a means of income.

Another thing I noticed this is a edited version of another recording. Which excerpts were taken to produce the finished film. It is their responsibility for the finished product. But it is very easy for us to make judgements on partial statements that may have unintensionaly done.

Mitch Thomas

Mitch Thomas
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Ingvar Nilsson on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Mitch Thomas wrote:Thanks Brian
That was awesome man, if I ever hit the lotto........ Hahaha

Mitch

+1! This looks so professional! Haven't seen anything like this outside of Asia. Nice to see someone raising the bar.

Ingvar Nilsson
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  drgonzo on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:41 pm

I initially resisted adding further comment to this thread but as I have some experience in this area I thought Maybe my comments could help clarify things for everyone. This is only my opinion, and my "take" on what we see in this video. And As Mitch seems to have opened the door a bit for me I feel comfortable chiming in here.

As a former PR (public relations) directer I can tell you very plainly that what you are watching in this video is a professionally video graphed and edited piece of public relations and advertising. It even has the production credits at the end. Its not a "how to" ...'camera on the tri-pod' home video, the likes of which we see from Graham Potter etc...

As such Ryan is promoting himself, his nursery, and his services as an instructor. He even speaks a "tag Line" at the end of the video and gives the web site address as he walks past and out of frame. Its a great video and he has every right to advertise his business and himself. That having been said, I believe he has some sort of partnership at this point with Randy Knight, even if its an informal one, as Oregon Bonsai seems to have been incorporated somehow into Bonsai Mirai, at least their websites seem to have merged together. Certainly Ryan takes time to add Randy Knights efforts in collecting to this video thus his services as yamadori collector are also being featured here.

Though i agree its hubristic to proclaim oneself "the best" or "Probably the best" of anything in the world. When we promote a product we don't say things like "Buy Tiger Brand coffee... its pretty good." We say instead "Buy Tiger Brand coffee... 'cause its the best."

When we understand this video more in the way in which it is intended to function, broad declarative statements such as these can be more easily forgiven and certainly better understood.

-Jay

Just to clarify, What we actually say is... "Buy Tiger Brand coffee it's a real treat, even Tigers prefer a cup of it to real meat."

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  stavros on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Once you get into the philosophy of media, PR and advertising, you can understand why phrases such as "the best" are used.
I guess that Randy and Ryan were told what to say, how to say it, how to move etc, by the producers.
Thank you drgonzo for pointing this out.
It makes more sense now.

stavros
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  drgonzo on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:15 pm

stavros wrote:
I guess that Randy and Ryan were told what to say, how to say it, how to move etc, by the producers.

Who knows???

well I guess the folks at Steve Salisian Productions would.

-Jay

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  jrodriguez on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Mitch Thomas wrote:Jose
I think the thing to remember is this is a promotional utube movie. The main purpose is to PROMOTE the business. Which in this world economy is a very hard thing to do. Not to mention in the limited market of a bonsai business. All or most of us on this fourm have the cushion of either full time employment or a retirement as a means of income.

Another thing I noticed this is a edited version of another recording. Which excerpts were taken to produce the finished film. It is their responsibility for the finished product. But it is very easy for us to make judgements on partial statements that may have unintensionaly done.

Mitch Thomas

Well, this might well be the case, but it is not the first time I have heard from them in other interviews (unrelated to publicity) stating the same remarks.

jrodriguez
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Mitch Thomas on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Jay
Well said I am totaly on the same page.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Marko on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Regardless of whether someone claims their buddy or they themselves are the best yamadori collector what actually quantifies this title. This is probably a new topic in itself but I think would make great discussion. For example is the best yamadori collector the one with the best material OR most material or both. Now throw their success rate into the mix, aftercare, etc etc.

If I knew that a certain collector had a 50% success rate I would'nt rate them as good a collector as someone with 80% regardless of how good, their quality, quantity etc

Marko
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Mitch Thomas on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:32 pm

I think the underlying message they were trying to convey is really aimed at Americans to promote thier business. They want us to know that there is quaility material and instruction is available here in the US and that's it.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Rob Kempinski on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Let me add another data point to the discussion. When Walter Pall was introducing Ryan at the recent Noelanders show, Walter said words to this effect ...Ryan's garden has more world class collected trees than all of the other gardens he has visited in the world combined... (I didn't use quotes as I am not certain of the exact words but this is very close.) Those trees for the most part were collected by Randy. When you factor Walter's extensive collection and his travels that is quite an endorsement. Maybe Walter can join with his own observation in his exact words.


Rob Kempinski
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Orion on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:02 pm

I agree with Rob.

Randy and Ryan are not making any idle claims; the material he collects is tremendous to say the least.

Orion
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Walter Pall on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:Let me add another data point to the discussion. When Walter Pall was introducing Ryan at the recent Noelanders show, Walter said words to this effect ...Ryan's garden has more world class collected trees than all of the other gardens he has visited in the world combined... (I didn't use quotes as I am not certain of the exact words but this is very close.) Those trees for the most part were collected by Randy. When you factor Walter's extensive collection and his travels that is quite an endorsement. Maybe Walter can join with his own observation in his exact words.


Rob,

correct, this is what I said on stage at Noelanders Trophy. And I don't take it back.

Walter Pall
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: BonsaiMirai Video

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:55 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum