Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petrified wood and/or Limestone honeycomb rock for RoR?

3 posters

Go down

Petrified wood and/or Limestone honeycomb rock for RoR? Empty Petrified wood and/or Limestone honeycomb rock for RoR?

Post  Poink88 Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Just wondering if limestone honeycomb rock (TX holey rock) is ideal for root over rock (RoR) application. It looks ideal in terms of providing places for a tree to grow but I am afraid they are too soft and may erode or fracture in the future. I just do not want to invest time and effort then end up with a weird tree that lost its rock in the future. Is there a good substance I can use to stabilize the limestone? Wood hardener perhaps?

I would love to use it if possible since we have an abundance of it here in TX. Like this http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-decoration/aquascaping-african-cichlid-aquarium/147.asp

Another item I am considering is petrified wood. I just purchased one (through eBay) that I think is a good candidate...is there a down side using petrified wood on RoR? If it is not ideal, I can always use it as an accent decoration. Very Happy
Petrified wood and/or Limestone honeycomb rock for RoR? Pw

Thank you.

Last edited by Poink88 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Petrified wood and/or Limestone honeycomb rock for RoR? Empty Re: Petrified wood and/or Limestone honeycomb rock for RoR?

Post  JimLewis Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:04 pm

On your limestone rock, you may have problems growing plants that don't like limey soils. Otherwise the rock is hard enough. They're not "limestone" though bu calcium magnesium carbonate -- or at least the ones I got in Florida are. Much harder than "limestone."

Just FYI in the recent thread about acidifying soils I listed a number of plants that do well in alkaline conditions.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Petrified wood and/or Limestone honeycomb rock for RoR? Empty Re: Petrified wood and/or Limestone honeycomb rock for RoR?

Post  Poink88 Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 am

I saw that and plan on using Cedar Elm since I have access to some seedlings. That or quince.

Thanks!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  crust Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:47 am

I have tested the PH of soils on limestone cliffs and was suprised to fine it on the acid side. I was testing the duff soils in pockets which tend to be acidic naturally. I have seen all sorts of acid loving plants, like pines and blueberries growing on various limestone outcrops and cliffs. I think one could safely plant in and on natural weathered limestone pieces and only find a slight alkalizing effect to the soils if at all. I had a larch planting on a limestone slab for a long time and never noticed a problem.

crust

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:50 am

This is a very nice rock Dario with good color and character. Being soft is also a plus factor, you can carve it easily.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:03 am

Thanks Jun.

Though it doesn't look like it from this angle, this is the petrified wood and should be very hard (a bit expensive as well). I like the form and character and I think it can be by itself or used in RoR. I am contemplating if I should clean it up a bit and remove some of the white calcium like deposits. This picture is from eBay but I should receive the piece next week.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Petrified wood is (usually) agatized and is, as a result, VERY hard. And brittle, sometimes.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:14 pm

JimLewis wrote:Petrified wood is (usually) agatized and is, as a result, VERY hard. And brittle, sometimes.
Thanks Jim, I just read it could be as hard as quartz. I suppose it should last longer than any tree I will attach to it. Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down