Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ramification...Is there such thing as too much?

+7
Sam Ogranaja
JimLewis
marcus watts
Jesse
bucknbonsai
jgeanangel
Poink88
11 posters

Go down

Ramification...Is there such thing as too much? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ramification...Is there such thing as too much?

Post  marcus watts Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:29 am

JimLewis wrote: Maybe they'll listen to you! Your next assignment is to get people to STOP USING THE APOSTROPHE on plurals!

haha,it was a long time ago i was in school but is this right Jim?

bonsai's = just wrong
bonsai's great = bonsai is great, poor but ok
poinks' bonsai = the bonsai belonging to poink, ok grammar?
poinks's bonsai = poink is bonsai, so wrong

I like apostrophe's' Very Happy , hate to use one in the wrong place though

cheers Jim, i await a little reminder course

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Ramification...Is there such thing as too much? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ramification...Is there such thing as too much?

Post  JimLewis Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:58 pm

bonsai's = just wrong
bonsai's great = bonsai is great, poor but ok
poinks's bonsai = poink is bonsai, so wrong

You are right.

The first is absolutely wrong, but is, for some reason, getting more and more common. I even see billboards using it.
The second is a contraction -- "That bonsai is great!" -- sloppy writing, but OK, just barely.
The third is correct. The bonsai belonging to poink - a possessive.
The fourth would only be correct if the poink in question actually spelled his name "poinks" and then it would have the meaning of "poink's bonsai."

There is a use for an appostrophe as a plural that is acceptable -- pluralizing an abbreviation, as in "there were 5 PC's in the room" -- although PCs is also OK. Also, he is learning his ABC's.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Hmmm.... ???
JimLewis wrote:

On the condition that the poinks in question actually spelled his name "poinks".
Because if he actually spells his name "poink" then the bonsai belonging to poink would be "poink's bonsai", wouldn't it?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Guys,

Great to have an English lesson but let us not forget this is INTERNATIONAL Bonsai Club. Some members are struggling just to communicate in English. I am sure you wouldn't want someone giving you German, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, etc. class here would you?

For myself, English is my second language and though I am not that good at it, I actually write better than most average American I meet (in life and online) and it seems getting worse with the younger generation which is a shame.

By the way, there is a term for this sort of thing...THREAD HIJACKING I believe? Wink

Now back to regular programming.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:50 pm

marcus watts wrote:hi again,
The other thing you need to remember dario is that you may have made many of your observations from photographs and internet images and this is not true experience of a real ramified bonsai....I tried to photograph a large maple but the tree was 36"DEEP, from front to back, the ramification was beautiful in front of me but the 2 dimensional image appeared solid twigs due to the depth of field.
Marcus.

This could be it! I've never been on a real world class show and all my ramblings are based on 2D pictures. This makes perfect sense to me.

Thank you.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:16 pm

my nellie wrote:Hmmm.... ???
JimLewis wrote:

On the condition that the poinks in question actually spelled his name "poinks".
Because if he actually spells his name "poink" then the bonsai belonging to poink would be "poink's bonsai", wouldn't it?

Correct, Alexandra. Cool
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Poink88 wrote:I see a lot of posts about shows and competitions and while I appreciate the time and effort that goes on each little twig in those bonsais...I see more trees that I believe (personal taste) have way too much ramification that it actually takes away from the bonsai instead of helping.

I also see lots of trees styled almost like they ran a hedge trimmer on them to get the smooth "manicured" shape which (for me) is not realistic.

Anyone else feel the same? Or is it just my weird self?

I think it is all a manner of taste Poink, Personally at the moment I most enjoy the trees that have branch ramification that is long and seems to go forever.
But I can also appreciate the shorter ramification to the point of a tree that reminds me of the perceived control we have over nature like a freshly cut lawn.
But the short answer is no we can never have toooo much ramification. It is ramification that shows age in bonsai and trees and to me considering time is a big factor in bonsai.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down