Help with unknown pest

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help with unknown pest

Post  Paul Kitching on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:50 am

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and I would like your help on identifying a pest that has appeared on several of my Bonsai trees. I'm located in the West Midlands, UK.

I first noticed them on my Juniper Tree, the tree was not looking to good and I first put it down to the wet summers we have had. On close inspection I found the pests grouped together in tight places like the intersection of branches and inside parts of the flaky bark. I also find them underneath the rims of the pots. After seeing them on my Juniper I checked the other trees that are close by. I have now found them on my Pines and Acers Sad

I have attached an image of one of the little critters, this image is highly magnified. The actual size of the pest is about the size of a full stop if you use font Arial size 14. I cannot see any webbing like material on the leafs or branches so I cannot identify them as a spider mite.

Hope somebody can help with the identification of the pest and how to deal with it.

Kind Regards
-Paul

Paul Kitching

Back to top Go down

RE:Help with unknown pest

Post  Bob Brunt on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:51 am

Hi Paul
You seem to have a bit of a mite infestation there. I've never had to deal with mites so can not give you a product name. A general insecticide should do the job. Ask at your local garden centre,there may be an organic way to eradicate them.Google mite killer or mite insecticide.Plenty of options available...Good luck !

Bob Brunt

Back to top Go down

Re: Help with unknown pest

Post  JimLewis on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:50 pm

An occasional hard jet of water into the foliage usually will take care of a mite problem.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:09 am

If one were going to go the chemical way, wouldn't a mitacide be used instead of an insecticide? Or, are they both the same?

Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:46 pm

Same thing. Spider mits are difficult to control with a pesticide. It takes a LOT to penetrate their shell.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum