Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter In Dallas?

+6
bonsaisr
Fore
Russell Coker
moyogijohn
dick benbow
thomasj
10 posters

Go down

Winter In Dallas? Empty Winter In Dallas?

Post  thomasj Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Not this year. The news made mention a few days ago that since Dec 21st, we've had more 70deg days than 32deg days. My ch elm and nire elms are already breaking bud. Most of the pics here look like spring pics than winter ones. Surprised

This is my only bare tree except for a few small bald cypresses that are in training. Sad
Winter In Dallas? Wintpi10

I think I've lost the leaves on this tree only once or twice in the 16 years that I've had it.
Winter In Dallas? Wintpi11

The junipers aren't even as dull looking as they should be this time of year.
Winter In Dallas? Wintpi12

And the pines are always looking like it's summer out there. Very Happy
Winter In Dallas? Jbpsho10
Winter In Dallas? Wintpi13
Winter In Dallas? Wintpi14
Winter In Dallas? Wintpi15
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Winter In Dallas? Empty Re: Winter In Dallas?

Post  dick benbow Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:51 pm

thanks for sharing the photos, you've done a very nice job with your trees Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Winter In Dallas? Empty winter in dallas

Post  moyogijohn Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Thomas,, Very Very nice !! love that elm tree.. what is the black color on the first tree ?? that is elm also right ??? mine are budding also looking for a snow storm tonight,,,i hope it will miss us but not much of a chance... good work take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Hey Thomas, I know what you mean about this crazy winter - or lack of.

The Japanese name for Chinese elms is "Nire Keyaki". What's the difference between the standard old Chinese elm and the one you call "nire"? I've never seen that before, is it a variety like 'seiju' and 'catlin'?

Beautiful pines, btw.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:30 pm

I agree, very nice looking trees Thomas. I'd love to have such a pine! But it always concerns me when I see people's trees with that much moss on flakey bark. It just kills it and eventually the bark just sloughs off. It's a great old tree with great old bark that I'd like you to keep Wink

Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Russell Coker wrote:
What's the difference between the standard old Chinese elm and the one you call "nire"?
R
I've run across this before. Most run-of-the-mill bonsai growers in Japan don't know from cultivar names. If a Western buyer who is not familiar with Japanese names sees an unusual elm tree & asks the grower what variety it is, the answer is "nire." It's an elm tree. The buyer then brings the tree home and labels it Ulmus parvifolia 'Nire.' Forget it. It's just a Chinese elm.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks Iris, that's kinda what I figured.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  thomasj Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 am

Yeah Russell, Iris beat to the punch with the answer to that one. It's just a ch elm that was imported with the name "Japanese Nire Elm" Very Happy

moyogijohn, I'm thinking those black areas you're seeing are actually shadow spots. I took the pictures in full sunlight and I think that's what your seeing. I don't recall any black areas on the trees. Sad

Fore, yeah I usually don't let my moss run up the trees but I'm a little behind on my bonsai chores lately. Thanks for the concern. Very Happy

Thomas
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Winter In Dallas? Empty winter in dallas

Post  moyogijohn Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:39 am

OK,shadowes it is !! again you have some very nice trees there.. be proud take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:59 pm

These are some great trees. Did you start these from seed? I really would like to know the origin of the pines, they are amazing! Thanks for posting.

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi Thomas
Very nice trees. Beautiful photos. ThumbsUp
Thanks for sharing.
Gretings Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:18 pm

yes Thomas great photos.
How do you get the backround out of focus and the foreground so sharp ///?

Yeah the pine is speck tack you lure !!!!!!!!!!!!
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:17 pm

rock wrote:How do you get the backround out of focus and the foreground so sharp ///?
Research "depth of field". It is attained by adjusting your f-stop.

That or do an after processing with a photoshop (or something similar).
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  thomasj Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:27 pm

Research "depth of field". It is attained by adjusting your f-stop.

Yes that's true to some extent, but the bigger picture is the lens you're using. You'll get an out of focus background using an
18-35mm lens, but not much really. For these pics I used a 300mm telephoto lens at the lowest f stop. Of course other factors also figure in such as the distance between the object being photographed and the objects or scenery behind it. Very Happy
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Post  thomasj Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi Neil,
Sorry but no I didn't start any of them from seed, but the elm group I've had now for almost 21yrs, and the other elm I've had for almost 16 yrs.
As for the pines, I bought them off a fellow club member back in 2007 and 2008. He really didn't want to say exactly where he got them from except from a grower in another part of the country, so I just left it at that. Below are some pics of some of the trees right around purchase time so you can see how much they advanced in time. Very Happy

For someone who never worked with pines before I purchased these, I'd say they are coming along quite well. Laughing
I just hope I can keep them looking as good. Very Happy

Winter In Dallas? Jbp510
Winter In Dallas? Img_1510
Winter In Dallas? Velm10
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down