Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alcohol and bonsai...

4 posters

Go down

Alcohol and bonsai... Empty Alcohol and bonsai...

Post  drgonzo Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:00 pm

No, not THAT kind of alcohol... Very Happy

I recently read a suggestion Michael Levin makes on the Bonsai West website that an extremely effective measure against scale on tropicals is to spray them with Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, full strength, right out of the bottle... His only caveat is not to do this on Portulacaria species.

Before I test this on a guinea pig F. Salicaria I thought I'd ask here first. Has anyone ever tried this?

My best and my thanks as always
-Jay

drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Alcohol and bonsai... Empty Alcohol and Bonsai

Post  bonsaisr Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:25 pm

I would not experiment with home remedies on valuable bonsai. It is much safer and surer to use a systemic insecticide three times at one week intervals. For tropicals during the winter, spray them in a spare room, leave quickly, and keep the door closed for two hours, preferably overnight.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Alcohol and bonsai... Empty Re: Alcohol and bonsai...

Post  Poink88 Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:35 pm

Never tried it but read a lot about it. Another caveat I've seen is to not let the alcohol go in the soil. It supposedly will dry the roots.

BTW, something I've tried in the same line is Q-tip and alcohol. It is tedious but worked.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Poink88 wrote:BTW, something I've tried in the same line is Q-tip and alcohol. It is tedious but worked.

It seems to me if you are hitting each bug with an alcohol soaked Q-Tip, it would be just as easy to remove then by hand.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:39 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

It seems to me if you are hitting each bug with an alcohol soaked Q-Tip, it would be just as easy to remove then by hand.

Thats why i was interested in the spray, Michael indicated the plants could handle Isopropyl at full strength and that a one time application would usually take care of every scale insect, i believe he does mention throwing a cover over the soil surface.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:45 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
Poink88 wrote:BTW, something I've tried in the same line is Q-tip and alcohol. It is tedious but worked.

Not really since the nooks and crannies...where tender shoots normally are, is not accessible with my fingers.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down