How to View Japanese Fonts (Windows)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to View Japanese Fonts (Windows)

Post  Kakejiku on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:41 pm

In order to alleviate some of the concerns some members have expressed when someone writes Japanese, on the site, I am including the steps that will allow one to download the East Asian Language Pack. This should enable one to view Japanese/Chinese fonts on their computer screens.
1. Click on the Windows Icon
2. Click on the Regional and Language Options Icon
3. In the window that pops up select the tab that says Keyboards and Languages
4. Click on the Change Languages button
5. There will be a new window that says Installed Services and Default Input Languages (Make sure you keep your native keyboard as the default)
6. Press the Add button on the right hand side of the screen
7. A whole list of Languages will show up. Scroll down until you get to Japanese and click on it.
Three options should come up. Japanese, Microsoft IME and Show More. Select the box next to Microsoft IME.
8. Press OK
9. The previous screen will show up and then push the button that says apply in the lower right hand corner.

You should now be able to view Japanese text from almost all sites, e-mails etc.

Kakejiku

Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Re: How to View Japanese Fonts (Windows)

Post  John Quinn on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:10 am

Viewing the Japanese characters is not the issue. If you wish to include Japanese phrases in posts, provide a translation at the same time.

John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Ditto other languages that some of us may not read!

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  rock on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:30 am

Si

rock

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:31 am

John Quinn wrote:Viewing the Japanese characters is not the issue. If you wish to include Japanese phrases in posts, provide a translation at the same time.

Exactly, well said. seeing the little squiggles makes no difference what so ever to the post - and to be fair putting a translation into a japanese word written in english characters is equally pointless - not many people know or can be bothered to read things like 'koshimuzu kansui, fukinagashi, ichi-no-eda" etc on an English speaking forum.

It is my common love of bonsai that brings me to the forum and nothing to do with trying to become a wanna-be japanese person

regards marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:32 pm

marcus watts wrote:
John Quinn wrote:Viewing the Japanese characters is not the issue. If you wish to include Japanese phrases in posts, provide a translation at the same time.

Exactly, well said. seeing the little squiggles makes no difference what so ever to the post - and to be fair putting a translation into a japanese word written in english characters is equally pointless - not many people know or can be bothered to read things like 'koshimuzu kansui, fukinagashi, ichi-no-eda" etc on an English speaking forum.

It is my common love of bonsai that brings me to the forum and nothing to do with trying to become a wanna-be japanese person

regards marcus

I think your response is a little rude, and I doubt you would speak that way if I was standing in front of you. With that said, I am an American and not a wanna-be Japanese person. I happen to love to learn new things. Not just on the surface. If there is a word I am unfamiliar with either in English or Japanese I try to look it up in a dictionary or learn about it some other way. If you want to stick with Windswept or first (main) branch that is fine, but there are many more insights I can learn when I try to look at the word in it's native tongue and decipher the intent of the meaning.

I provided this download as a tool for learning, and for no other reason. I hope that some members will take a look at it and see it as such and give it a go. This is a dictionary I often use to cut and paste characters to understand the word and meaning. I really respect the work this Professor from Australia has done with his online dictionary. http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

Regards,

Jonathan

Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum