Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot

3 posters

Go down

How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot Empty How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot

Post  Guest Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 pm

When purchasing raw material Yamadori… that is trees that have been collected and are in the first container that they were established, many folk are concerned that the transition to a smaller container would be too traumatic an undertaking.

Timing, health and understanding the resilience of the species is essential when doing this work.

The example shown here is a Shohin Yew tree that I am developing for David Carvalho from Portugal, the tree has been in its first container for three years and is ready to be moved to a much smaller ‘bonsai pot’ size container.

Checking the roots we see that it pot is full and there is Mycorrhiza present, good evidence of a healthy root system. The establishing planting medium is still very open and there are no ‘black’ roots to be seen.

On closer inspection a thick root needs to be shortened to enable the tree to fit into a smaller pot. The abundance of new fleshy root that is present closer to the tree enables me to make a big cut, the top of the root will need to be ‘carved’ to blend in the nebari, this will compliment the deadwood that will feature as part of the overall design.

The root ball is reduced with the fine roots being cut with very sharp sterilised scissors, the tree is tied into the container with wire and filled with my special soil mixture and left to grow for another season before any further work is done.

If you want to see the whole photo story it is Here on my blog.

How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot Jpgimg10

How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot Jpgimg11

How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot Jpgimg12

How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot Jpgimg13

Back to top Go down

How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot Empty Re: How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot

Post  Mowgonie Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:13 am

thanks for the guide =) Really like your blog Tony, it realy helps a newbee like me to get the inspiration i need! Thanks again!

Mowgonie

Back to top Go down

How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot Empty Re: How to reduce the Yamadori rootball to fit in a Bonsai Pot

Post  drgonzo Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:36 am

Excellent!

Its always so easy when you just take the time to establish more new roots than might even be necessary, then the shortening of a heavy root is stress free.

I've had to follow this same procedure on a collected American Beech, only its taken 3 separate reductions of heavy roots over three years to do it, but yet the tree has thrived with this sort of patience.

This is a great example for everyone to understand that the most important aspects of bonsai horticulture goes on below the soil level.
Thank you for sharing Tony
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  MMeruje Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Very nice !!

Keep the good work Smile

MMeruje

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down