Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Left My fukien tea out in the cold last night

4 posters

Go down

Left My fukien tea out in the cold last night Empty Left My fukien tea out in the cold last night

Post  rcurrier Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:03 pm

I work overnights at a hotel and did not realize how cold it was going to get here in jacksonville. It was around 30 degrees last night, and all night at work i was thinking OHh Shi* I left my tree out. I have lost trees in the past because of freak cold fronts and being out of town....
Question is.... Can one night in the cold kill it? It has not recently been watered and is pretty large. (about a foot tall with 1inch or more diameter trunk) All the leaves look a bit saggy and there are very small white spots on them.
Is there anything I can do to help its chances?
~Thanks

rcurrier

Back to top Go down

Left My fukien tea out in the cold last night Empty Re: Left My fukien tea out in the cold last night

Post  JimLewis Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm not a tropical grower, but I think it will depend on how long it was below freezing. If temps reached 30 by 10 p.m. and the tree was out all night, I'd not hold out any hope. If temps didn't reach freezing until 4 a.m. and you got it inside soon thereafter . . . I'd still not hold out a lot of hope, but there may be a chance.

In any event, look for a lot of branch dieback, and plan on starting over.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Left My fukien tea out in the cold last night Empty Re: Left My fukien tea out in the cold last night

Post  Levi Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:49 pm

i think it may still have a chance. i got a fukien tea for christmas and accidentally left it out over night in about the same temperature and conditions that you described. i brought it in and immediately i could tell that most of the leaves had died, and they continued to turn brown and fall off. but within a week or two new little leaves began to sprout. mine survived, hopefully yours will too. i just brought it inside and it was ok afterwards. unfortunately i don't have any more advice than that. best wishes.
Levi
Levi

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Your Fukien will probably survive, but it will lose leaves and as such will not need as much water. Bring it in and protect it tonight.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down