Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork elm, sumo or naturalistic style.

+3
moyogijohn
Max
DaveV.
7 posters

Go down

Cork elm, sumo or naturalistic style. Empty Cork elm, sumo or naturalistic style.

Post  DaveV. Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Cork elm, sumo or naturalistic style. 000_0257 This is one of my cork elms. I am looking for advice on styling this in a more naturalistic style. Right now it is more of a sumo. Any thoughts on a naturalistic style and a new pot for this spring. [img]http[url=https://servimg.com/view/16137211/26]Cork elm, sumo or naturalistic style. 000_0212://i43.servimg.com/u/f43/16/13/72/11/000_0211.jpg[/img][/url]

Last edited by DaveV. on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

DaveV.

Back to top Go down

Cork elm, sumo or naturalistic style. Empty Re: Cork elm, sumo or naturalistic style.

Post  DaveV. Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:34 pm

Sorry, but I can not seem to figure out how to post an image. I got it now!

DaveV.

Back to top Go down

Cork elm, sumo or naturalistic style. Empty Re: Cork elm, sumo or naturalistic style.

Post  Max Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Hey Dave,

in my opinion you should try to lift up the branches.
They look like manmade because they turn downwards although they rise from the top and not from the trees side (especially on the lefthand). If you do so it will not take that long to look more naturalistic I think.

By the way please tell me where to get such nice cork elms!
(No joke! Thanks for your PM! Smile )
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Cork elm, sumo or naturalistic style. Empty cork elm sumo or naturalistic style

Post  moyogijohn Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:11 pm

First thing is ,,you have a beautiful tree !!! just my opion too many branches comeing togather,,maybe thin it out some.. a oval pot lighter than the tree bark to me would look good.. i bet you don,t want to trim it very much!!!! very nice now..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveV. Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:15 am

Thank you, Max and John. I got the tree in California. I agree with you Max. In order to make it more naturalistic, I should bring the branches up a little and try to make levels of foliage. Yes John, I am looking for a cream colored oval. Maybe a Sara Rayner pot??

Thanks again,

DaveV.

DaveV.

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:34 pm

That's one of the nicest elms I've seen in a long time. It looks natural as it is, I think you need the time to let the branches fatten up and as the others said, once you wire it out the flow will come together really well. Maybe it's just me, but have you thought of tilting it more to the left??
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Orion wrote:... but have you thought of tilting it more to the left??
I agree. The branches do need to be wired better too but the tree in general have tons of potential.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveV. Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Yes, someone suggested that it be tilted to the left when I repot next time. I like that idea. I am just considering what style of pot.

DaveV.

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Any updates on this tree? Smile 
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:05 pm

BobbyLane wrote:Any updates on this tree? Smile 

+1
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down