Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet!

+5
coh
drgonzo
Fore
marcus watts
JimLewis
9 posters

Go down

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet! Empty Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet!

Post  JimLewis Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:31 pm

I thought I'd better take this flowering quince (Chinese, I think) in from the cold, too.

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet! 2-12_w10

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet! 2-12_w11

Wow! How the light can change when clouds scud across the sky.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet! Empty Re: Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet!

Post  marcus watts Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:37 pm

thats really nice

cheers, Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet! Empty Re: Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet!

Post  Fore Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:10 pm

That is a beauty Jim! I hope my J. Quince will look this good one day.

And boy, this weather for you guys down south seems even a bigger problem than it is here in Chicago.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:28 pm

I especially like the crackle glaze pot with that tree. For my taste its rare to find a crackle glazed pot that looks good with a tree.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Looks nice.

Old man winter has definitely made a rare appearance for this winter! 18 F, with wind-driven snow as I type. Actually looks pretty nice outside. Gonna have to move some plants around later...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet! Empty another in from the cold snow flurries yet

Post  moyogijohn Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:13 pm

JIM Nice tree !! we are also haveing snow and cold!! my trees in the little greenhouse are budding like crazy..what happened to the mild winter??? keep them warm..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi Jim
Again, very beautiful, just lovely. Really like your quince. ThumbsUp
Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks, all. I don't have that many trees that are complimentable. <g>

Jay, I picked up several crackle glaze pots at an estate sale about 20 years ago -- all small. This one is the largest (7-8 inches diameter). Generally, I'm not wild about them, either, but they do OK with trees that have a Penjing feel to them.

We have had a VERY warm winter until now. Too much to hope that it would continue. I just wish so many of my trees weren't thinking SPRING!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Here is the smallest of the crackle pots with my mame trident (also inside because of the cold). This is my favorite of the lot.

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet! 2-12_m10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Why did you bring that one inside Jim? I don't see any budding action.

And another lovely tree and pot....another too in agreement about crackled finishes, not my favorite but it works really well here.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:02 pm

So Jim, did you get as many "snow flurries" as we did?

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet! 02122010

Now that's what winter is supposed to look like. Finally! And yes, there is a (pre) bonsai pine in the photo (an Austrian pine planted in the ground), so it has some bonsai relevance!

Oh, I hope Jim will answer, but I'd guess he brought in the trident because it's in such a small pot, and trident roots are supposedly susceptible to freeze damage. At least, that's what I've heard.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Oh, I hope Jim will answer, but I'd guess he brought in the trident because it's in such a small pot, and trident roots are supposedly susceptible to freeze damage. At least, that's what I've heard.

Yes. The pot is only 3 inches in diameter. Also because the lip overhangs the inside of the pot, I was a bit worried that expansion might crack the pot when freezing occurred.

I have 10 trees and pots of this size -- or smaller -- inside last night and tonight. Smallest is 1 inch in diameter.

And my snow vanished when it hit the ground. That's the way I like it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:15 pm

my little trident (6" ) needed repoting so it came in - buds were extending with the tree left outside in the cold so in the garage it had to go. Gave the tree a very hard repot, 50% root reduction, and now its settled into a new pot from Gordon Hunt ceramics that picks up the texture in the rock nicely and i wired it with 1/2mm wire and a pair of pine tweezers! . I expect the tree will be left in the pot for 3 or 4 years now and i plan to let it grow about 1"-2" wider and taller in all directions over the next few years.

I sat the tree on the coffee table in the warm to do the wiring as the garage is freezing so snapped a couple of pictures

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet! 01811

and played about with liquify on photoshop !

cheers
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Fun little tree!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  crust Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Lovely little quince--I find them irresistably precious--this one especially.

crust

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Well I have a couple Trident seedlings, 2 3/4" and 4" pots. I was told that just leave them in my hoop house protected from wind and they'd be ok. I guess I'll see come spring... But it's good to learn that Tridents roots are sensitive to cold. These are my first Tridents so I'm still learning about their growing requirements.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Sweet little trees Jim. The Quince has a nice windy feel to it.

Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Another in from the cold - with snow flurries, yet! Empty another in from the cold snow flurries yet

Post  moyogijohn Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:26 pm

JIM,,That is a nice little trident !! I just don,t know how you can find the trees you do.. The one marcus posted looks good too,,can,t tell where the pot lip ends and the soil begains !! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down