Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chinese quince anyone knows how to have back buds?

+8
Nunovsky_PT
bonsaisr
dick benbow
GaryWood
drgonzo
JimLewis
Poink88
quatrefi
12 posters

Go down

chinese quince anyone knows how to have back buds? - Page 2 Empty Re: chinese quince anyone knows how to have back buds?

Post  Nunovsky_PT Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 pm

Where I've read about it it said that the old name was chaenomeles sinensis and after it was reclassified as pseudocydonia sinensis.
But now I'm confused.

Nunovsky_PT

Back to top Go down

chinese quince anyone knows how to have back buds? - Page 2 Empty Re: chinese quince anyone knows how to have back buds?

Post  Nunovsky_PT Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Nunovsky_PT

Back to top Go down

Post  nanteos Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:32 am

For those who might be interested, some clarification of the nomenclature and taxonomy of Chinese quince (known as Karin in Japan) might be in order. The currently accepted, valid Latin binomial for this is Pseudocydonia sinensis (Thouin) C.K. Schneid. Its basionym is Cydonia sinensis Thouin, the first name ever applied to it. It is the type species of the monotypic genus Pseudocydonia C.K. Schneid. The recombination Chaenomeles sinensis (Thouin) Koehne is an obligate synonym; nomenclaturally valid but taxonomically unacceptable. The same can be said of Pyrus sinensis (Thouin) Spreng. Yet another name applied to it, Pyrus cathayensis Hemsl., is invalid on account of its being a later published, facultative synonym. Pseudocydonia differs from Chaenomeles significantly by, among other things, lack of thorns and flowers which are produced singly rather than in clusters. It is close to European quince (Cydonia), in which it was originally classified, but differs notably in having serrated leaves.
nanteos
nanteos

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:24 am

Great and thorough explanation! I know whom to consult with taxonomy questions! Cool
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  quatrefi Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Here he is now, progressing, but difficult tree anyway!

chinese quince anyone knows how to have back buds? - Page 2 Chamae10

quatrefi

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:45 pm

Really nice, exceptional.

I have two myself,wonderful trees. Very Happy
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:42 am

Is it a seedling or grafted? Grafted trees are much harder to ramify. Next season, feed it well and let the new shoots grow to about 150mm long. Prune these back to 1 node (leaf), weaker shoots to 2 or 3 buds. Then defoliate the entire tree leaving only those shoots that have not extended into shoots. You should get some back budding. Repot EVERY YEAR and always feed heavily. Prune the strong branches hard in winter.
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down