Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Witch Hazel Update

5 posters

Go down

Witch Hazel Update Empty Witch Hazel Update

Post  moyogijohn Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:39 pm

Would like to have comments and suggestions please-Thanks-John!!!!
Witch Hazel Update 888810

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Witch Hazel Update Empty Re: Witch Hazel Update

Post  drgonzo Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:31 am

you could probably have cut back much tighter on those upper branches but at this point I'd probably just let it back bud and see if it gives you the opportunity to trim the apex in tighter.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:08 am

I agree with Jay about cutting back those top branches - but why not do it right after flowering? I don't see evidence of budding yet, so maybe cutting them back a bit more is a good idea.

I'll be very interested to see how this responds...no familiarity with this species!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:19 am

coh wrote:I agree with Jay about cutting back those top branches - but why not do it right after flowering? I don't see evidence of budding yet, so maybe cutting them back a bit more is a good idea.

My thought was to let it throw out some buds and then cut back to them, I'm cautious, maybe unnecessarily, with deciduous trees when they are out of leaf especially when advising on someone else's tree.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Witch Hazel Update Empty Witch Hazel Update

Post  moyogijohn Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:24 am

Thank you Jay Cris,,,,,I kind of like the apex chop..do you mean cut the other branches down to stubs ???? take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:58 am

moyogijohn wrote:Thank you Jay Cris,,,,,I kind of like the apex chop..do you mean cut the other branches down to stubs ???? take care john

John

I would advise you to let it be and when it has put on at least an inch of new bud extension take another picture and we'll be able to get a better Idea of where and how the tree can be further reduced.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 am

It is a very young tree, John. I think you probably should leave it be for the rest of this year and see what develops.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Witch Hazel Update Empty witch hazel up date

Post  moyogijohn Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Thank you for comments advice...do you think it may make a tree or not??? you all say leave it alone wait for new buds?? thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:19 pm

It's gonna depend on what kind of budding you get from the trunk. You've pretty much got to grow a whole new set of branches. I think we'll all be interested in seeing how it develops.

BTW, I still think those giant upper branches (that are way too big for final branches) could be cut back as soon as flowering is over, but I seem to be in the minority with that opinion!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:03 pm

coh wrote:It's gonna depend on what kind of budding you get from the trunk. You've pretty much got to grow a whole new set of branches. I think we'll all be interested in seeing how it develops.

BTW, I still think those giant upper branches (that are way too big for final branches) could be cut back as soon as flowering is over, but I seem to be in the minority with that opinion!

I personally agree but I claim no expertise.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Witch Hazel Update Empty witch hazel up date

Post  moyogijohn Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Cris and Jesse,,,,I Don,t know about the 2 large branches.. if they bud at the ends i guess they will have to be pruned off...thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down