Covering Drain Holes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Covering Drain Holes

Post  William N. Valavanis on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:36 pm

I just asked the top three container authorities in Japan about the large drainage holes.

The antique containers with very large drainage holes were originally incense burners for outdoor use in cemeteries. Bamboo lattice was placed over the holes then small pebbles and another layer of even smaller pebbles. Then ash was used to fill the incense burner and they were put outside in the cemeteries. The large holes are for water drainage. Those containers were NOT made for bonsai. Antique Chinese bonsai containers had small holes, not large holes. So, when you see such a container remember that it was NOT originally used for bonsai. I wonder if the Japanese raided the Chinese cemeteries searching for those containers.

I was told it's difficult to use the large hole containers because they drain too quickly for certain species so what they do is to put a couple of layers of drainage screen over the holes.

So we all now know why there are large holes in some antique containers used for bonsai.

Bill

William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Re: Covering Drain Holes

Post  Russell Coker on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:24 pm

And thanks for confirming everything I've already said!
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum