Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seal Danish Flint Stone category

3 posters

Go down

Seal Danish Flint Stone category Empty Seal Danish Flint Stone category

Post  sunip Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Hello all Danes,
Danish seal.
Here a virgin stone as it came straight out of the chalk of Möns Cliff and thus has no patina
but on the other hand there are no chips broken off.
Animal figure stone category Danish Flint Stone?
Sunip Wink
Seal Danish Flint Stone category Img_2146[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/16274585/131]Seal Danish Flint Stone category Img_2147[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/16274585/132]Seal Danish Flint Stone category Img_2148

sunip

Back to top Go down

Seal Danish Flint Stone category Empty Re: Seal Danish Flint Stone category

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:08 pm

That is a nice stone. How do ou think you will display it?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:29 pm

Hello Billy,
Shoku or Jitta i think.
I mentioned the stone has no patina yet, it was in a box for 28 years,
on the other hand the hard black stone has a chalk residue?
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Seal Danish Flint Stone category Empty Ocean creature

Post  stonener Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi Sunip,
This one has nice fluid lines, great monument and overall very believable shape.
this years Aiseki Kai show(aisekikai.com) had a seal pup, "JoeJoe" Dobutsu Katachi-Seki,
was topic of discussion among us, was displayed in a large shallow plain bronze doban,
which is technically incorrect, because figures should not be displayed this way.
However because it was a water related "Ocean creature" sand made sense.
Your stone I see would look even better wet, so no sand in puddle of water,
with the water reflection of the animal standing on it's own would set it off nicely,
then repeated spraying would be possible. If summer display? could be fun,
trying light blue ceramic suiban, to add cool feeling even if not wet.... Basketball
"but i could be wrong"

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Stonener,
Thank you for your thinking.
I do not know much about rules.
For me personally such a display would be a bit to much,
not much left over for the viewer to do their part of imagination and contemplation,
this i consider of most importance and acceptance of another human being.
It would be to much only a illustration, an anecdotal virtue but it could be more with less.
Because something is a water animal seen on a beach makes it not necessary to use sand and water but to suggest it maybe.
For example the flowing lines of the stone could give remembrance of the ocean waves.
It should be natural; bowing to the audience and bowing to yourself does not have to mean splitting but finding unity.
For the display mentioned, is it the stone from John Carol Mortensen in the 2011 Huntington Show in your newsletter?
It is a nice stone and tray but not together for me.
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:55 am

Hi Sunip

To take a stone out of the cliff is something special Smile
The stone has a nice shape, and could look like a seal. Maybe a oval middleblue ceramic jitta without legs could look nice together with the stone.

Animalshapes, costalstones and dessertmountains is allready a catagori, and has nothing to do with the stonematerial, only the shape. In a theori can you find a flint in the shape of a dessertmountan.

So, flint as a catagori will not happen.
But, I never saw flint used as suisekimaterial outside this forum. It could be nice if it can be accepted, and appreciated, if flintsuiseki is shown in exhibitions in the future.

Flint is a very hard, but brittle material, just like many dearly appreciated chinese stones are. Flint takes really nice collours from the inviroment arround it, and is able to take polishpatina up very well.
Apart from the grey collour, can they become orange, with a surface close to gobiglace. In my garden do I also have dark brown flint....no doubt, this kind of stone is interesting. The difficult thing with flint is, to find a stone without new chips.

Your stone reminds me of the famous chinese lingbi, who also comes out of the ground with a wirgin surface.

Thanks for sharing photos of your stone.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Seal Danish Flint Stone category Empty as first encounter

Post  stonener Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:16 am

Sure Sunip I understand you and in closing would like to try and qualify my ideas,
In a display setting as at our exhibit many experience for the 1st time this art form,
and in trying to open minds and convey themes while communicating without words,
a more easily recognized approach is cheerfully welcomed by general viewing public.
For those of us who are more familiar with methods, I agree hunger for a bigger challenge.
ultimately bridging ones thoughts with the viewer is key to understanding and our goal!
in other words easy does it, and I'm all about easy... Basketball
[size=7][but i could be wrong! again/size]

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:00 pm

Hello Yvonne,
I did not take the seal stone out actually but it came out by itself recently the way i found it.
I was thinking of classification by origin like your Kamogowa black stones.
Flint stone as viewing stone has potential i think.
Of course it is very hard en therefore very brittle so one has to take that into account.
The special thing about flint is that it solidified in all strange forms, shaping by erosion is only second in place.

By now i declare flint stone accepted for viewing stones.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi Sunip

Flintstone is nice, a real western name....not ishi, or seki
Lets see what happens in the future Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content