Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting cherries.

4 posters

Go down

Getting cherries. Empty Getting cherries.

Post  Nemphis Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm George,a young bonsai pasionate guy from Romania.
I've got so far 1 olive tree and 2 rosa rugosa.

Here where I'm living are 2 cherry trees,one is a sour cherry aproximatly 9-10 m tall and has probably 20 or 30 year,the other one is a sweet cherry tree 7-8 m tall which has under 20 years.

I want to ask how to airlayer or other method to get some cherry bonsai.
Nemphis
Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Getting cherries. Empty Getting Cherries

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm

It is certainly possible to air layer cherry trees. I would guess the sour cherry might make a better bonsai than the sweet cherry. Look in the public library. There must be garden books with instructions for air-layering. Plan on starting in April, as soon as the weather warms up. You should be able to cut it off before frost.
I don't know what kind of a bonsai you would get from Rosa rugosa. The olive is a better choice.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Getting cherries. Empty Re: Getting cherries.

Post  Nemphis Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Thank you.
Well,as I'm living in a quite warm zone,as it's almoust February and there is sunshine and there is only -1 or -2(I've been all day only in t-shirt), I tought better of air-layering the sour cherry in March.
Nemphis
Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:42 pm

Forget the calander and let the tree tell you when. Let it put out the first flush of new growth and let it harden off than you can start your airlayer. If you do it too soon there won't be enough foliage to encourage the growth of new roots. If you want to see the whole process I have a blog post about air layering a redwood.
Redwood airlayer
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Nemphis Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:47 pm

Thank you,I will read it.
Nemphis
Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:58 pm

Bob Pressler wrote:Forget the calander and let the tree tell you when. Let it put out the first flush of new growth and let it harden off than you can start your airlayer. If you do it too soon there won't be enough foliage to encourage the growth of new roots. If you want to see the whole process I have a blog post about air layering a redwood.
Redwood airlayer
Thanks Bob. That is a great tip!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum